Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@pommom wrote:

@Mimi 1883 

ITA - Estee Lauder Double Wear is by far the best full coverage foundation.  Started wearing it in the '80s and haven't looked back.  Lisa Eldridge mentioned in one of her videos that this is her #1.  That's saying a lot coming from her.

@pommom   Many times, she and other artists cut it 2/3 foundation to 1/3 moisturizer for a more natural look unless it's a special occasion. You'll begin to see less full coverage foundations in the market as skincare becomes the focus. 

Application is everything in foundation.  I like a foundation such as Double Wear because you can always lighten up the consistency of a foundation, but it's much more tricky to make a sheer foundation heavier when more coverage is desired.  I personally don't mind having a wardrobe of foundations (for different looks and occasions), but this is not practical for many, so when I recommend Double Wear is always high on the list.  

@ShanusSkincare has been a booming category in the cosmetic industry for the past 20 years or so (innovations, new brands, etc.), but some things never change and there is always going to be a huge segment of foundation wearers who don't want watery sheer formulations regardless of how great their skin is. It seems that foundation is actually having a big moment in the industry right now as I have never seen so many.  The foundation category just keeps expanding across all price points and most brands make multiple formulas.  This makes the long run success of Double Wear all the more impressive.  It is now available in 50+ shades, but it's an old player in the game.   

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@pommom wrote:

@Mimi 1883 

ITA - Estee Lauder Double Wear is by far the best full coverage foundation.  Started wearing it in the '80s and haven't looked back.  Lisa Eldridge mentioned in one of her videos that this is her #1.  That's saying a lot coming from her.

@pommom   Many times, she and other artists cut it 2/3 foundation to 1/3 moisturizer for a more natural look unless it's a special occasion. You'll begin to see less full coverage foundations in the market as skincare becomes the focus. 

Application is everything in foundation.  I like a foundation such as Double Wear because you can always lighten up the consistency of a foundation, but it's much more tricky to make a sheer foundation heavier when more coverage is desired.  I personally don't mind having a wardrobe of foundations (for different looks and occasions), but this is not practical for many, so when I recommend Double Wear is always high on the list.  

@ShanusSkincare has been a booming category in the cosmetic industry for the past 20 years or so (innovations, new brands, etc.), but some things never change and there is always going to be a huge segment of foundation wearers who don't want watery sheer formulations regardless of how great their skin is. It seems that foundation is actually having a big moment in the industry right now as I have never seen so many.  The foundation category just keeps expanding across all price points and most brands make multiple formulas.  This makes the long run success of Double Wear all the more impressive.  It is now available in 50+ shades, but it's an old player in the game.   

@Trix   I agree Double Wear is a favorite, but owned by EL who also owns Bobbi Brown and ruined that line product by product. I keep an eye on all EL for deleting shades, changing formulas or ingredients, etc. Laura Mercier's famous Tinted Moisture was loved by all & now changed & some not happy w/ new version. Same w/ her primer. Not all changes are for the better. 

Respected Contributor

@Mimi 1883 

Just in the last couple of weeks I've discovered Robert Welsh.  He is an absolute "must watch" for me now.  He is a professional makeup artist and has a plethora of advice regarding all aspects of makeup application and techniques.  His wit and sense of humor are delicious.  At 18 years of age, he started as a cashier at the Mac counter after having interviewed for a position as a makeup artist (no experience).    

On his breaks, he would meander over to the makeup dept. and got training until such point that he was promoted to that of makeup artist.  The rest is history.

Quite a journey for a determined and talented young man.

He has a twin, James, who specializes in skin care.  Check them out.  I have learned a TON.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

@pommom  Thank you for the name. 🙂  I don't if I mentioned to you or someone else, but I watch and love Mel Thompson. She also started at Mac and is a certified MUA. No one does eyeshadow looks like her! Hands down, she is a master. She's also an artist (just for fun, not professional), so she has a great sense for colors and compatibility. She's also the Queen of powders, as she uses quite a few, but doesn't look cakey at all. But, she's only 33, so that helps. She's a very sweet person, too. I also watch Mrs Melissa M who is just a sweetheart! Very knowledgeable in skincare and primarily drugstore makeup which is not my preference, but I don't mind. In addition, these channels are drama free. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@pommom  Thank you for the name. 🙂  I don't if I mentioned to you or someone else, but I watch and love Mel Thompson. She also started at Mac and is a certified MUA. No one does eyeshadow looks like her! Hands down, she is a master. She's also an artist (just for fun, not professional), so she has a great sense for colors and compatibility. She's also the Queen of powders, as she uses quite a few, but doesn't look cakey at all. But, she's only 33, so that helps. She's a very sweet person, too. I also watch Mrs Melissa M who is just a sweetheart! Very knowledgeable in skincare and primarily drugstore makeup which is not my preference, but I don't mind. In addition, these channels are drama free. 

She is fantastic! Mel Thompson is so down to earth and her makeup application is always flawless! Wayne Goss did a shout out video about her and called her personally after reaching out to her. She talked about it in a video and was very emotional and humbled by him doing that. Mandy Davis MUA is another one you should check out! She’s in Tennessee and her and Mel are so much alike. So sweet! 

Trusted Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

She is fantastic! Mel Thompson is so down to earth and her makeup application is always flawless! Wayne Goss did a shout out video about her and called her personally after reaching out to her. She talked about it in a video and was very emotional and humbled by him doing that. Mandy Davis MUA is another one you should check out! She’s in Tennessee and her and Mel are so much alike. So sweet! 

@wvumountiefan I'm glad I checked back at this thread or I would never have seen your post! Yes, I saw the video Mel did about Wayne's shout out. He did one for her last year, too. I do occasionally watch Mandy Davis. I did suggest a fragrance to her and she wrote back that she Loved it and was so happy to have it. 🙂

@pommom   I watched a little of Robert yesterday and have to say that I really like his demeanor! He's very calm, and explains everything. Thank you for the suggestion! 👍

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

@Mimi 1883 

Mel Thompson is one of subscribed youtubers.  I love her cute little laugh.  She's adorable AND THOSE LASHES!!!

Also subscribe to Samantha March who has just completed her first collab with Ofra.  If you go to the video where she announces it (quite long, but you won't notice - you'll be so engaged), she's over the moon.  It is so moving.  She is a very sweet gal and works hard to give her audience a variety of platforms.  She is also an author.  Her books are on Amazon.

When she first announced her collab, there was a big meet & greet scheduled for yesterday (March 20th) in Fla.   So many influencers were planning to attend - Mel being one of them.  They are good friends.  Ofra was sponsoring it, of course.  Sad it didn't come to fruition.

Anyway, nice to be able to chat here with those who appreciate this type of thing.  Sending hugs,  Heart

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown