Super Contributor

Re: Foundation that stays put under surgical mask?

Another vote for double wear by e. Lauder. I have to wear a mask when I fly b/c of my asthma, and my makeup does not budge. The lipstick does, but not the makeup
Super Contributor

On 4/4/2014 ennui1 said:

Stop wearing makeup?

Since you're a nursing student ... at some point, you'll get over the vanity aspect and concentrate on the OR patient.

When my mom was in ICU, none of the nurses wore makeup.

BINGO!

Respected Contributor

I've met a lot of nurses over the last 10 years due to medical issues of my parents and I never cared what they looked like or inspected them to see if they were wearing makeup. Was just grateful for the job they were doing. The ones who had a more even complexion probably were wearing makeup but I never once stopped to ponder this. Now, if they wore red lipstick I'd notice and might have been repelled by it but so far the wearing of red lipstick hasn't happened.

Super Contributor

Smoochy, I am so sorry for the loss of your son. I have two boys and I cannot even imagine. Take care and I wish you peace.

Trusted Contributor

Lillie1004, you might want to try IT Celebration Foundation. It's very light (unless you apply it heavier) and does not "sit" on the skin. I've never had a problem with this sweating off my face. Highly recommend the brush that IT has for application, which, in my mind, makes a big difference in application. Hope you find what you're looking for, and good luck in your career!

Occasional Contributor

My dental hygentist who wears a mask all day swears by the Merle Norman as Wildcat mentioned above. She actually used to wear BE too and talked to an older hygentist who always looked so pulled together at the end of the day-makeup still on, etc. Good luck in nursing. A noble profession!!

Honored Contributor

I've always wondered why hospitals aren't run like high tech cleanrooms. When I worked in the semiconductor industry wearing cosmetics was not allowed in the fab. I would think they'd want a similar environment in the OR. Staff scrubs in before the operation and everything is clean and precise. When I had surgery a few years ago I was told not to wear contacts or makeup. I would think the medical team would be held to the same standards.

That said, I was a nursing student up until last spring and now I work as an RN. Some wear cosmetics, some don't. I do in my area because it's a psych unit -- a much different environment than, say, Med-Surg or ICU.

But I keep it minimal: Lumene BB cream, eyeliner, mascara, lip balm. If I knew I'd be wearing a mask, I'd skip the makeup entirely.

ETA:

Best of luck on the NCLEX! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

If you are looking for something long lasting try Kat Von D Lock It foundation.
Contributor

I have been an OR nurse for 25 years so maybe I can help. Using a primer, setting powder or spray helps to keep the makeup on your face and not your mask, although some will still transfer off. I use Tarte Amazonian clay foundation with makeup forever setting spray or model in a bottle. The "model" one holds better but is drying. To the poster that said we should care more of the patient- your ignorance is astounding.
Respected Contributor

You may need to wipe your face with a facial cloth and re-apply, if you have time, some powder. You may also find you should wear less, just a bit of powder, mascara, blush that doubles for the eyes, and a bit of lip color. This would make post-surgery application fast and be better for your skin. Cleaning it all off before you enter the OR may be even better for your skin since there is so much moisture beading up in those long hours that may clog your pores and causing breakouts.

Makeup or no makeup is up to the nurse. OR nurses find it isn't worth it due to the constant in and out of the OR and just go with freshly scrubbed skin, which will improve your overall skin to earn that eventual makeup optional face. As you go through school, you will find out where you prefer to work, so you may end up in a position where makeup is more realistic to use. I would stay away from perfumes and scented lotions due to all the sensitive nature of many of your patients. Many doctor's offices will require their staff to use none due to issues with patients. As it is the patients that come first in a nurse's/doctor's life. Many nurses also do this low maintenance in their hair style since they find maintaining a look difficult to do with work.