Valued Contributor

Re: Foundation that stays put under surgical mask?

First, when doctors and nurses scrub in for surgery, they are doing their arms, hands, fingers, not their faces or rest of their bodies.

Second, the patient is supposed to be makeup free because we need to see the color of your skin to assess circulation/oxygenation.

Third, no contacts or eye makeup because the meds used in surgery can be drying to the eye. If contacts or mascara get into your eye, it can scratch the cornea.

Fourth, I'm a nurse and have also had a few surgeries- the majority of the female nurses in the OR had makeup on. Now, if a nurse is wearing false eyelashes like they do on DWTS, that may be a problem. But foundation and eye makeup- no issues there.

Valued Contributor

OP: Good luck with your nursing career.

Highlighted
Contributor

I have been a OR nurse for more years than I care to tell. I have used Revlon color stay, but now use MUF face and body for more natural look. Some nurses wear mu some don't, about 50/50. I feel that makeup shows a professional polished appearance.
Respected Contributor

There have been several votes for Revlon Color Stay, so that may be your best choice and inexpensive to boot!

Do what is right for you in your situation!!!

Respected Contributor

If you work in OR, just don't wear any jewelry. I see nurses on TV wearing earrings standing over a patient was an opening in their body and I cringe.

Even on TV they should try to make everything look right.

Super Contributor

There are so many good ideas in here. I have used Revlon Colorstay for years, and I love it. I have sweated in it, and blot with a tissue often with no noticeable or memorable transfer when I do, but I do not rub nor do I have constant friction going on against it. I have heard excellent things about the Estee Lauder Double Wear too, and I was going to try that next out of curiosity. I am also now curious about the Merle Norman some have mentioned in this thread.

The setting sprays may make a big difference, as may the primers and the using less overall makeup on your skin when you know you have to wear a mask on top of it. With that in mind, what does anyone think of trying something like Luminess Air along with their setting product on top in this situation? I have never tried this product, but one of the things they tout in the commercials is having to use far less product and getting better coverage from it. Perhaps this would work well for nurses or anyone who has to set something on top of their makeup for several hours.

It must be tough, because I know if I had to put a mask on top of my makeup like that, I would be guaranteed a constant break out anywhere the mask sat on my skin and the makeup. I can't let a phone touch my face or put my chin in my hand....ever...for just that reason. I think I would go without cosmetics for those reasons only on surgery days, but I am only speaking for myself and my case if I had to do this.

Occasional Contributor

From someone who has been in healthcare for 20+ years as well as enjoys makeup, here is my feedback. I go into the OR on occasion as well as have to wear a mask intermittently with my dad going through cancer. I think it is all a question of how much of your day do you spend with a mask on and what is your role. If you are in the OR or in ICU all day, I would probably only wear some mascara and then just bring some mineral powder foundation to swipe on at the end of your shift if you have other things to do with your day. Otherwise, keep your makeup tasteful and enjoy.
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/4/2014 smoochy said:
On 4/4/2014 ennui1 said:

Stop wearing makeup?

Since you're a nursing <em>student</em> ... at some point, you'll get over the vanity aspect and concentrate on the OR patient.

When my mom was in ICU, none of the nurses wore makeup.

and when my son was dying in the trauma care unit after his accident in Nov, every RN I encountered was wearing makeup. Should I now wonder if wearing makeup diminished their ability to "concentrate" on trying to save his life? I'm now semi retired after 42 years of being a working RN and I indulged my "vanity" (!) every day by wearing tastefully applied cosmetics. Your remarks are so ludicrous as to make me wonder if you are pranking us and I just fell for it. I hope that's the case. I would hate to think that you honestly begrudge a nurse the desire to look nice like other women. I bet you think nurses are way over paid too. Literally shaking my head.

And when my daddy was in the hospital, fighting for his life, most if not all of the nurses were wearing makeup. And they gave excellent care. The first night, the dr told us he didn't know if he would make it or not, that he was so sick. After 3 long weeks he was able to come home. Those nurses and doctors saved his life.

smoochy, I am so sorry about your precious son. Thank you for your years of service.

Respected Contributor

I've been in the same place, and never thought to notice the nurse's makeup. There were other important things to tend to.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/6/2014 tigriss said:

I've been in the same place, and never thought to notice the nurse's makeup. There were other important things to tend to.

Good for you. We were living in the hospital, seeing the nurses all the time, some of us were there round the clock for 3 weeks, so it would have been hard not to notice.