Super Contributor

Re: Foundation that stays put under surgical mask?

I'm an RN and wear very little makeup.....and NO perfumey lotions or scents. I wear a little concealer under my eyes (dark circles because of the night shift...lol)....and lip gloss. A clean polished look in my opinion is more professional looking in the healthcare industry than a full face makeup.

Frequent Contributor

I have been and still am (over 45 years) working as a nurse (RN) in a hospital. I wear makeup EVERY day, and I'm sure my patients appreciate it. I work in the OR and I also work in a NICU which is mostly warm and humid. My makeup used to disappear into my skin, but now I find that a primer helps (you just have to find the correct one for you and your skin/makeup.) I also have been using a post makeup spray I think its called DEW ME by urban decay. That spray has made a very big difference in the staying power of my makeup. The level of makeup a nurse wears DOES NOT determine her nursing ability. In fact, my experience has been that the nurses who are the most burned out look the most haggard. Wear your makeup, sweetie! Long live pretty nurses!!!!!

Regular Contributor

Merle Norman Lasting Foundation. It is what it says it is.......lasting. Used if for years.

Respected Contributor

As a nursing student you will not spend a lot of time in the OR. Just give up the full paint job on those few days and make sure that if you get a job it's not in the OR.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I wear BB or CC cream (Missha and IT cosmetics, respectively), use Anastasia Beverly Hills concealer (on her site) and set with IT Bye bye pores powder. I gave to wear masks a lot with pts on contact precautions. Usually for 30-60 minutes at a time. Some still wears off, but I can wash my hands and blend it out well. You might throw a small jar of BE in your bag so you can touch up if you need to. HTH!!
Respected Contributor

ennui There is nothing for me to "get over". You hold an archaic viewpoint that isn't going to change. just know that equating makeup with nursing skill, as you implied with the words vanity and concentrate, is offensive to nurses every where. The only thing I need to "get over" is thinking that conversation with you holds even a molecule of importance. I will leave you to your outdated, stereotyped opinion and will focus my energy on grieving the death of my boy. What a crazy idea it was to think I would find pleasant diversion here.

Harmonize the World
Contributor

In my experience, Revlon Colorstay does not transfer, so that may be a good option for you. It comes in two different formulas. I have used both, if you don't like the first one you try, give the other one a try. One is Combination/oily and the other is normal to dry. The one for combo/oily dries quite quickly and doesn't give you too much time to work with it, but may be better suited for your skin.

I have had nurses who wore makeup, and those who didn't. I never thought of it any other way than I do with women in any other job; some women like to wear makeup, some don't. I don't judge their abilities or their dedication to their job based on their makeup, or lack of, any more than I do any other woman I come in contact with.

Honored Contributor

This OP doesn't make sense. I would think that the OP would know that she must be totally clean.

This just sounds like something maybe a high school student would post.

Honored Contributor

On 4/4/2014 annabellethecat said:

This OP doesn't make sense. I would think that the OP would know that she must be totally clean.

This just sounds like something maybe a high school student would post.

Classic MO of the ""One & Done""....one post & never heard from again w/ the same nic. =Smiley Very Happy.

Honored Contributor

Lillie, wearing a surgical mask and having your makeup ruined is the issue. Since the posts here are not from people with this issue, maybe you might want to ask some of the other female surgeons and surgical nurses what they have tried to solve this problem. Good luck with your education, I am sincerely grateful to all the nursing professionals that have helped me and my family over the years.