Respected Contributor

Re: Foundation that stays put under surgical mask?

On 4/6/2014 happycat said:
On 4/6/2014 tigriss said:

I've been in the same place, and never thought to notice the nurse's makeup. There were other important things to tend to.

Good for you. We were living in the hospital, seeing the nurses all the time, some of us were there round the clock for 3 weeks, so it would have been hard not to notice.

Not that I insinuate something by my comment. I've been with family for a few weeks in those cases living at the hospital and staying in those family suites many hospitals have. The makeup, hair color, shoes, jewelry, etc...was not something I noticed. We were busy and not aware of those kinds of details, just who were our nurses and doctors. The point is that makeup is not a factor in a nurse being a good nurse or not. It is a personal decision of the person just like hair color. Many patients and families don't concern themselves with such details when their family is ill or even on their deathbed.

Esteemed Contributor

There's nothing wrong with a nurse or nursing student wearing makeup. The truth is that sometimes it can be impractical as when wearing a surgical mask comes into the picture. Any makeup regardless of how stay put or long wear it claims to be will rub off under a mask. You can try a formula such as Bobbi Brown's Longwear Liquid or Cream and see what happens.

The best plan is probably to just use a little foundation under the eyes and dabbed onto spots you want to cover, and forget about full face coverage during your training day. The last thing you need to worry about is re applying/touching up makeup several times during your day-- which is what trying to wear full face foundation will turn out to be.

Good luck with your training course Lillie.

Occasional Visitor

What about creating a surgical mask with a lining  that stops any smudging of make up and helps keep make up in place. I feel like every woman who uses surgical masks has to either not wear make up or keep reapplying it. 

Regular Contributor

Hi Lillie 1004--I'm sorry that some posters feel the need to make unnecessary comments when all you are trying to do is ask for advice. I don't know why some people have such a hard time being kind. The majority of posters are always very helpful. I worked for an oral surgeon & had to wear a mask during procedures. I like Lancome Teint Idole. It's not cheap--probably about 40.00 but it stayed on for me. I used a primer first then the foundation. My co-worker used Estee Lauder which a few other posters mentioned. That seemed to have worked well for her. Good luck on your search and best wishes on your nursing career. 

Respected Contributor

Wow lots of judgey comments here, they seem to be made by uninformed people. Anyway, I have to wear a surgical mask for work regularly and I have found that no matter the makeup type, a little will always transfer and touch up after you’re done is necessary. But I do find baked powder foundation (Laura Gellar) hangs on better than liquid and use of a primer and setting spray also helps. I dont think anything is that bulletproof though, as your face is incubating in such a highly humid environment for an extended period of time. I also find the type of surgical mask that ties causes less of a problem than the ones with ear loops, but I don’t know if you have a choice like I do.

Honored Contributor

This is an ancient thread (from 2014).

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Lillie1004  You need a waterproof foundation.  I don't know any off hand but if you Google "waterproof foundation" you will find many.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@just bee  - I've read this entire thread and placing hearts not realizing it's from 2014 until your post!   Thanks for letting us know....

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@just bee  - I've read this entire thread and placing hearts not realizing it's from 2014 until your post!   Thanks for letting us know....

Hahaha me neither. Duh! Life is funny sometimes.

Valued Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:
On 4/4/2014 ennui1 said:

Stop wearing makeup?

Since you're a nursing student ... at some point, you'll get over the vanity aspect and concentrate on the OR patient.

When my mom was in ICU, none of the nurses wore makeup.

and when my son was dying in the trauma care unit after his accident in Nov, every RN I encountered was wearing makeup. Should I now wonder if wearing makeup diminished their ability to "concentrate" on trying to save his life? I'm now semi retired after 42 years of being a working RN and I indulged my "vanity" (!) every day by wearing tastefully applied cosmetics. Your remarks are so ludicrous as to make me wonder if you are pranking us and I just fell for it. I hope that's the case. I would hate to think that you honestly begrudge a nurse the desire to look nice like other women. I bet you think nurses are way over paid too. Literally shaking my head.

So very sorry for your loss.  

When I practiced nursing, I always wore foundation, shadow and lip product.  That in no way diminished my ability to take care of patients.

I no longer practice, but have now become the patient.  You can't judge a book by its cover.  I have had plain Jane nurses, nurses that wear a ton of makeup and nurses that have tatoos.  Their choices to use or not use makeup or to be tatted out the wazoo have not interfered with my care.