Respected Contributor

Foundation that is worth hype but?

Is it worth the cost? 110.00 no, but I think it is the most flawless, skinlike, soft focus foundation that I ever tested. LA MER soft fluid foundation w spf 20. tends to blur lines, does not settle at all into pores, feels like velvet & has skincare benefits & hydrating, I got 2 samples at Nordtroms....I tried applying it with a foundation brush but it works so well with a beauty blender, which gives it the most coverage (you would think not) Its a light or med. or full coverage. I have smooth normal/dry skin & it could work on many skintypes. It has a natural finish, not dewy or matte. Have any of you ladies tested it or have it?                                                                                                                                                   I have the older version of the La Mer Powder which is my favorite which was around 60.00 at the time Now they have the new version which is basically the same but much less product around 90.00! I just purchased the Armani Luminous Silk foundation which I love but the La Mer is the best I have ever tried & has a long lasting power. I will use my usually tinted moisturizer, BM original foundation & my new But?Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

Re: Foundation that is worth hype but?

Each person has to decide what they are willing to spend on things and whether the cost is justified. 

Personally, if something was amazing and I found nothing else that came close to giving similar results and I could afford it, I would be willing to spend the extra money. Very rarely have I found this to be true though- most often I can find similar products that work almost as well for alot less money. But not always and, in those cases, I would spend the extra money. 

Honored Contributor

Is it worth it to you?

Is my dog's kibble worth $70 a bag?  He likes it and he seems to be doing well on it.  For that reason, it's worth it to me.

But when it comes to foundation, I'd like a CC cream under ten bucks.  That's not easy to find, so $15 is my limit.  Now if I had a lifestyle in which my face had to look fabulous, I might invest a little more.  My goal is to look presentable.  I can look presentable for a fraction of the cost of many of the foundations out there.

But someone might think that what I pay for kibble or even tea is silly.  Different lifestyle, different priorities.

People spend money on a lot of things that don't make them happy.  Does that foundation make you happy?  Does it make you look forward to facing the world?  If it does, then it might just be worth it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze, Yes I agree with you.... Before I used Armani, the only liquid foundation that I liked for me was Nars Sheer Glow. As I have aged (53) it didn't perform as well. I basically use a tinted moisturizer & the only foundation I had was BM's orginal before Nars. I started late wearing any foundations at all because I do have smooth skin with no texture or acne. I was on a quest to find a natural looking liquid foundation. I can afford the La Mer and I wouldn't wear it often because of my new lifestyle. I do love the Armani but if I had to choose, La Mer heads down. I would never go beyond what I could afford, in fact, I tend to look for the best deals I can find. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Something has to be above and beyond to spend that money. But if it is I would certainly buy it. When something is unique I don't mind spending extra money. So if you feel it is 10x better then something less expensive it is worth it to you.
Respected Contributor

@just bee The only things that make me happy are My husband, family and a good few friends. Plus the ladies here give me pleasure to chat with... I don't have many foundations at all. The La Mer just makes my skin look flawless, yes, I would be happy without it to answer your question. I am a confident strong woman & do not need foundation to face the world wow! This is a beauty blog after all.

Honored Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

@just bee The only things that make me happy are My husband, family and a good few friends. Plus the ladies here give me pleasure to chat with... I don't have many foundations at all. The La Mer just makes my skin look flawless, yes, I would be happy without it to answer your question. I am a confident strong woman & do not need foundation to face the world wow! This is a beauty blog after all.

@Kabella

Then maybe you just answered your question.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I look at it this way....

beauty is a gazillion dollar business. 

Some women when they reach a certain age will spend $$$$ for that "Fountain Of Youth" weither they can afford it or not.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Worth the cost is entirely subjective and based on so many factors!

I'm willing to pay more for things I use often and love, but a foundation wouldn't be one of them because I don't use it enough to make it a good value for me. It would go to waste, so I'd feel terrible spending that much on it. On the other hand, if I DID use it every day and it wound up being $50 a month, that would be too much, too. (I don't even use foundation enough to know how fast I'd go through it if I used it every day!)

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac If I were looking for the fountain of youth then I would have botox which I could have but choose not too, so I am not in that category. Not that I disagree with women who have it all, but its not my choice. Its just a lovely foundation that works the best for me..If you could see me, I look younger than my years but we are all hard on ourselves looking for products that enhance our features. I really didn't expect to get a reaction like that when posting a positive review on a highend foundation that I can afford.