Esteemed Contributor
On 6/18/2014 happy housewife said:
On 6/18/2014 cassiem said:

MAC has a wide range of foundation colors, from cool to neutral to warm. The one thing to keep in mind is that MAC foundation shades are the reverse of how most of us think of warm/cool tones.

MAC shades run by number with lower numbers being the lightest and higher numbers being the darkest.

There are letters for the different tones.

C = Cool (yellow, golden, olive)

NC = Neutral Cool (golden beige)

N = Neutral (beige)

NW = Neutral Warm (pink beige)

W = Warm (pink)

So shade 15W would be a fair pink shade.

Are you certain you have this correct. Usually cool tones are the pinks and warm tones are the golden yellow, olives. So people who are very fair with pink undertones are considered to be cool tones and olive skin is always a warm tone.

M.A.C. for whatever reason goes against industry normal with their undertone labeling. I have always been C7/NC45 in MAC foundations and my complexion has a very warm undertone. The NW shades in MAC are pink/reddish which we associate with cool.

Speaking of M.A.C., they have the largest range of shades... and undertones... of any brand. For someone like Hyacinth who has a hard to match complexion it might be worth finding a color in MAC even if you don't care for any of their foundation formulas. Most MAC department store counters (and definitely their free standing stores) will give foundation samples.

Honored Contributor

Have you looked at:

Drugstore: L'Oreal True Match - Neutral, cool & warm shades are offered

High End: Laura Mercier

kindness is strength
Super Contributor
On 6/18/2014 Irishrose136 said:

KL.................What was the name of the pink powder made by Holika Holika?

eta: I found my own answer. Thanks. I forgot the name but a picture is a 1,000 words {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Irishrose go to the ASDM post. I got an email about an ebay seller opening an online shop and they are offering 10% off coupon and sales on the Lioele and Holika Holika powder.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

I thought I was following the shade instructions for the Bare Minerals serum foundation. I picked "Porcelain" described as very fair with pink undertone skin. I really don't have pink, but I prefer it to yellowish! I may be neutral. I basically don't want to color correct, and certainly not lean to YELLOW. I MAY try the next shade (think it's Shell) described as "neutral." Maybe there's not too much yellow in their mind to color correct redness. I don't think there's as much REDNESS out there to correct as they talk about!!

I am not totally impressed with how the Bare Minerals goes on. I didn't find it blended well. I can't use the totally DRY stuff anymore, as my skin has gotten drier. I need it to move around a bit.

This one and the Edward Bess (which goes on quite nicely and would be great for someone wanting heavier coverage) were so yellow it made my pink blush look coral. I think the next shade in Edward Bess would be too dark.

On a whim, I bought a Cover Girl foundation for acne because I liked the shade. It is nice, but sooooooo dry.

I am going to look at their line and see if they offer this color in another formulation that isn't so dry.

I am willing to go drugstore or high end for the right shade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hyacinth Smile

Frequent Contributor

Hyacinth - I'm also very fair and I've been loving the Urban Decay N A K E D foundation. They have a huge color range. You can get matched at Sephora, Ulta, or anywhere that sells UD.