Frequent Contributor

Re: Foundation recommendation...oily mature skin

I actually use Estee Lauder Double Wear, stopped using it because it felt too cakey, and then started using it again with a dampened sponge. I use the Real Techniques Beauty Sponge dampened, apply Double Wear dabbing it in spots all over the face, then do the dabbing technique with the dampened sponge - it goes on beautifully. The key was the dampened sponge. 

I find ELDW leaves a more satin finish when I use it with the dampened sponge. I do set it with Laura Mercier Tranparent Powder all over, but only with a light dusting. after applying the powder, I pat my face all over with the same dampened sponge. I love the way it looks. Very natural, and not cakey. However, I don't feel you HAVE to use any powder with the ELDW. 

If you want very light coverage, I also recommend Nars Tinted Moisturizer. You do need to use a concealer to cover other areas of the face that might need extra coverage. It does looks natural and does set on the skin once dried, but you will need to use a light powder foundation over the top to hold it in place. 

For me, I want something that is going to stay on my skin, cover what I need, and stay on for most of the day so that's why I choose the ELDW. With aging, oily skin, it is difficult to find something that works.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Love2Laugh,  The real techniques sponge in a light color orange is the BEST sponge ever.  It is my favorite and I had tried a couple others but they cannot compare.  Washes easily too.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I have mature skin too, but my oily areas are strictly in the Tzone. Everything else is dry.

Shortly after I  (re) discovered the QVC forums I posted asking for foundation recommendations under $50; I hadn't worn foundation in a very long time (never liked the feel).

I tried a lot, including my beloved Clinique. What I ended up liking surprised me.

I purchased Josie Maran (previously not a fan) whipped argan oil beauty butter in medium. It comes in a jar (not a fan of that either) and is very thick. Application is a hassle; you have to warm it up on your finger tips then dot it on and gently blend. WOW does this work for me! Covered some serious age spots but even better it stayed put on my oily Tzone. Who'd have thought?

Because it is a pain in the caboose for me to blend (I don't want to cover my entire face with it, but don't want lines of demarcation either) I found L'Oreal's Infallible compact powder in a comparable shade and use that to help blend out the lines. I know it sounds whacky but it works for me. And it stays put! I had a 12 hour work day earlier this week and when I finally got around to removing my make up it looked like I had just put it on. Also loved the no transferring; didn't end up on my clothes or anything my face crossed paths with.

I'm not one to use primers and I love the fact that I don't need additional concealers with this combo either. I will say I'm not sure if the no-transfer properties are because of the JM or the Infallible, but one of the two (or both) are excellent for staying in place and in their lane.

This probably wouldn't work for everyone, and not sure why this combo is working for me but so far it is. Because I don't like the feeling of foundation makeup I use very  very little; thankfully it takes very little of the JM to do the job. That one jar will probably expire on me before I use it all. Good thing too because I found it to be pricey (just under $50 on the Q).

Just thought I would share Smiley Happy.  

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Frequent Contributor

@Katcat1 Yes, I agree it is the BEST ever! I just ordered some more from Ulta as I don't want to be without them. I was a brush snob before this and stubbornly did not want to join in on the "sponge migration." I humbly confess I wish I had used the sponge long ago. I'm just glad the Real Techniques one is so afforable so I can stock up. Woman Very Happy

Regular Contributor

I have mature, oily, porey skin also. What works best for me is a combination of Clinique's pore refining solutions on my pore areas prior to Lancômes tent idol liquid foundation. My husband has instructions to comment on how my skin looks every time we go out and he likes this combo the best. He said yesterday that my skin looked porcelain.😊 I use Neutrogena clear face break out free liquid lotion sunscreen spf 30 prior to all of it. This sunscreen is not greasy at all. My favorite stick foundation is the teint idol ultra wear make up stick from Lancôme. This is more convenient but less Matte. What I don't like about these foundations is that they are pricey, however, Nordstrom has a nice gwp and 15% off going on now. One thing though that I can no longer do is use undereye concealer or put foundation around my mouth because it will settle in my lines. Darn
Honored Contributor

I am over 50 with very oily acne prone skin. In the past when I needed more coverage I used and liked Almay TLC, L'Oreal True Match, or Neutrogena Skin Clearing foundations. Since my skin looks better now I am using tinted moisturizers instead of regular foundations. I like Olay Total Effects 7 CC with SPF (2 colors swirled in a pump bottle) or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Primer with SPF & tint. The Olay product comes in a few shades and the Neutrogena primer also has a non tint version. I use Neutrogena shine control powder as a finisher. 

Trusted Contributor

I like Revlon New Complexion One-Step Compact Makeup. It's a cream-to-powder foundation with SPF15.

Super Contributor

Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua liquid makeup, Laura Geller Balance and Brighten, and Target blotting papers......I use them together.