Honored Contributor

Re: Foundation makeup for over 60

@viva923 wrote:

I can't wear many foundations, I break out badly. Only make up I can use is BARE MINERALS original powder foundation. 

I have tried so many foundations and all of them have something that does not agree with my facial tissue.

I just keep it simple. I use very little of the foundation so have no problems with it settling in fine line (near 70 yrs now).

@viva923Bare Minerals is my alternate foundation. In cold weather, my skin gets more dry and I switch to Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer or BB Foundation Stick.

Honored Contributor

If I wear foundation I use a serum foundation, usually bare Minerals and only apply it where I need it. Let's face it, when you have lines and wrinkles and put make up on them they show up even more. 

Respected Contributor

Lancome Teinte Idole Stick foundation - great consistency, put it where you need it, avoid areas where foundation might build up.  Use a foundation brush to blend, and your skin looks like velvet and it lasts until it's washed off, looks very natural and lovely.  

Bobbi Brown stick foundation for me is more oily and doesn't last as long so touch-ups are needed, but it is also a good option.  I do use a primer and that really helps the foundation, whatever I use that day, to float over my skin and fine wrinkles and look fabulous.....!

Get a good color match and blend well; both these things can make/break the very best foundations.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also recently went back to Estee Lauder Double Wear. They have many shades and I needed a cool shade which is hard to find in many lines. It has good coverage and lasts hours and hours! Ulta just started carrying it where I live at least so you can go in and get color matched. For me powder is too dry and aging for my skin. I don't usually wear a primer but if I do it would probably be Laura Geller spackle. P.S. I'm 70 this month!

Super Contributor

@joanluvz happy birthday 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm liking the Revlon Youth FX fill + blur foundation with SPF 20. I wear it in the shade 200 Nude. I also bought the 150 Buff shade as well but it was a bit too light so I use that shade around my eyes and nose. I wear the Clinique Pep Start SPF 50 tinted mineral sunscreen underneath it and don't usually wear a primer. I'm pretty happy with this foundation which I bought on sale. I think it's being discontinued in Canada as Shoppers Drug Mart has all the shades on clearance.

It's funny because when Revlon came out with the Youth FX line about a year and a half ago I bought the eye primer and concealer and didn't like either one. But the foundation which I apply with my fingers is pretty nice. It's a light-medium coverage and buildable.

From Pinterest:

Image result for Revlon Youth FX foundation pinterest

Respected Contributor

I don't know if it matters to anyone, but the only foundation brand mentioned here that is cruely free is Bare Minerals.  

There are hundreds of makeup brands that don't torture animals to produce their excellent beauty products.   

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@deemcd- You'll get as many recommendations as there are ladies on this board.  Everyone's skin needs are different.  I'm 69 with oily skin so the foundation that works best for me probably won't work for you.  But, I want to recommend a primer:  Mally's Neutralizing Primer. It camoflages large pores and any blotches/discolorations on my older skin.   For me, almost any foundation I apply over Mally's Neutralizing primer looks practically flawless.  In my 20X magnification mirror!    (you can buy it at QVC or at Kohl's with a coupon - wink wink)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@deemcd I'm 63, and still have an oily t-zone. Skin is normal everywhere else. I've been using Laura Geller's Balance & Brighten for years now and just love it. It never settles into my fine lines.

Sometimes I'll put Laura Geller Quench & Tint foundation on first, then the B n B, if I think I need more coverage, but the B n B covers pretty well on it's own.

When I use a primer, it's also Laura Geller--her Spackle. There's a number of formulas, I like the Neutralizer.

What will work best for you depends on your skin type and level of sensitivity.

Valued Contributor

@joanluvz wrote:

I also recently went back to Estee Lauder Double Wear. They have many shades and I needed a cool shade which is hard to find in many lines. It has good coverage and lasts hours and hours! Ulta just started carrying it where I live at least so you can go in and get color matched. For me powder is too dry and aging for my skin. I don't usually wear a primer but if I do it would probably be Laura Geller spackle. P.S. I'm 70 this month!

I am 62 and also love Double Wear.  It blends in so easily and lasts all day.  I think some avoid it because the name sounds like it would be heavy but it isn't.  I only apply it where I need it which is my T zone.  I use a few different primers but my favorites are Smashbox Ultra Light (used to be called oil free) and Maybelline Master Prime.

Ulta now gives samples of foundations which I didn't know until yesterday when I was there.  I got a very generous sample of Lancome Renergie Lift foundation which I am trying for the first time today.  So far, so good.  It is a little on the glowy side but a light setting with powder took care of that.  Good luck with your search!