Occasional Contributor

Foundation for someone over 50

Would love suggestions for a foundation suggestion for my 55 year old face. Having trouble finding one that looks natural, even with a primer. I have oily skin and large pores. I have heard water based foundation was the way to go. Suggestions?
Super Contributor

Re: Foundation for someone over 50

My favorite is Wei East Mandarin Orange Face Perfector. You can sometimes buy it from HSN, but I love their own web site. It has a nice consistency and is very buildable. Contains Vitamin C and doesn't break out my 51 year old skin. It comes in light, medium and tan. They have great deals on their web site.

Super Contributor

Just starred using IT Cosmetics CC Veil foundation , with SPF 50 . It's a light coverage but build able . I like it doesn't show lines or show pores . Looks very natural & feels like you don't have foundation on at all . Major complaints on customer reviews , is that the compact only last a few weeks . It has a sponge top in the compact, that holds a liquid foundation. The first shipment includes a gorgeous brush for application . I'm using just a little at a time , under good lighting , so I can see what it will look like outdoors . I like it so far , but im anxious to see how much the product will last . Reordering foundation every 3 weeks like some say, is quite expensive . Hope you find one you like !
Valued Contributor

I'm 60 & my favorite is BM Serum Foundation. Right now, I don't think anything I've tried even compares. Makes my skin look best it can be. BM also has a newer foundation than BM Serum and I've read that it wears very sheer. I've been wanting to try Perricone's No Foundation Foundation and plan to try to order samples. Anybody know where I can get samples of P's foundation? I've heard this is very natural, Dewey and makes skin glow. HTH.
Valued Contributor

I'll be 58 in a couple of weeks. I have been wanting a new foundation, something that will even out my complexion but is buildable from sheer to a little more coverage. I went to the mall today and decided to go to the BareMinerals Boutique. I explained what I was looking for to one of the girls and she helped me find a match. I bought the bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20 - No. 2 Bare Shell and the brush. I think I've finally found a great foundation. HTH
Super Contributor

I LOVE Laura mercier's tinted moisturizer. It's light but you can build it up if you want. I have been using it for a year and my skin has never looked better. I prefer a more natural look(hate foundation) but this one works great for me. I want to buy more because I just saw it listed in family circle magazine as a go to product and I'm afraid my color will become hard to find! One tube has lasted me a year with daily use
Super Contributor

I use Prescriptives Virtual Matte oil free foundation. I buy it from their website. No matter what new foundations I try, I always end up going back to that one. It's the best color match for my skin and it's oil free and controls oil. Also, coverage is buildable, from medium to full which I love. I love the matte finish and it doesn't break me out.

Trusted Contributor

I'm 58, have large pores, some redness. I have found a few foundations that work well for me. The Tarte Amazonian Clay Powder foundation is very good, does not settle into lines like BM. You can get it here, but Ulta & Sephora carry more shades. Bourjois 123 Perfect CC is wonderful. It's made in France and available online as asos.com or lifeandlooks.com. Very resaonably priced, about $15. I just tried a sample of the Nars All Day Luminous foundation and love it. It has very good coverage, but is $48.

Some foundations I have not loved: MB Serum foundation (cakes up badly after an hour), IT Celebration, IT CC (Can't get over the snail slime), Laura Mercier (no coverage), Tarte liquid foundations (too orange). I have never found that primer helps the look a foundation. I just use a small bit of moisturizer.

To get some good advice and tutorials about foundations and makeup in general, to to lisaeldridge.com. She has several videos on mature skin.

Honored Contributor

I used Clinique as a 20 year old and still use it in my 60's! Great products!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I'm a little bit older than you and understand how frustrating it can be. First of all, I would suggest treating the large pores and oily skin via your skincare routine and not rely on your foundation alone. Unfortunately, when it comes to foundation it can be a process of trial and error until you find the one (or ones) you like best. It also depends on how much coverage you want. Your application method can make a difference too. If I want a lighter coverage, I go with a serum type. Lately it's been Skinn Plasma Serum Foundation. I also like the new Tarte Foundcealer for how it covers, but that dropper has to go. For a BB/CC cream, I like IT CC+ Cream (the tube) a lot, but I like Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream and Missha Signature BB Cream more. The one drawback about Missha, since it's mainly in the Asian market, is that the darkest shade they have is only the equivalent of a medium. If you're darker than that, you're out of luck. If you're looking for a drugstore product, Physicians Formula CC Cream is pretty good too, if you can find the right shade.