Trusted Contributor

I am 59 and would really  like to find a good foundation that looks good or helps minimizes older skin issues? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Foundation for older skin?

[ Edited ]

What specific issues, I am 62 and I have oily skin and very few wrinkles, my older skin is not like yours

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Before you consider a foundation to help your skin problems,  help your skin by taking care of it.    Exfoliate, moisturize.  

The best foundation in the world can't fix problems, even if they advertise so.

Cleanse, exfoliate, use a mask, a targeted serum and good moisturizer.

@isaboo wrote:

I am 59 and would really  like to find a good foundation that looks good or helps minimizes older skin issues? 

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

Before you consider a foundation to help your skin problems,  help your skin by taking care of it.    Exfoliate, moisturize.  

The best foundation in the world can't fix problems, even if they advertise so.

Cleanse, exfoliate, use a mask, a targeted serum and good moisturizer.

@isaboo wrote:

@isaboo, If you are experiencing the usual complaints of older women (dryness, wrinkles, dull tone), I agree with @software that it is your skincare which needs to be addressed.  Most of our skin concerns can be improved -- even if not eliminated with a complete regimen of cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing (face, eyes, and neck).  You don't have to jump up into the $400 Perricone creams to get decent anti-aging.  I think you should visit various counters at department stores, and spend some time in an Ulta or Sephora to see brands not found in department stores.  Pick up samples and play around at home to determine what you like and don't like.  The counter salespeople may push using skincare from one brand but that is hogwash.  You may find one brand's cleanser is best for you and another has the best moisturizer, and so on.  However, if you find the whole thing overwhelming, then it is best if you can make it work from one brand.  I use many different brands, but if pushed into a corner to settle on one it might be Peter Thomas Roth on the high end; and CeraVe in the drugstore.   

Honored Contributor

@Trix  Excellent advice

@isaboo  And to add to the above post, if you have large pores, a mask will help with that.   

Honored Contributor

I agree with what xoxo wrote.

I have very dry skin, but not a lot of wrinkles. I really like L'Oreal true match , both the liquid and the powder. I only wear the liquid when I get all dressed up anymore. My daily wear is just a light dusting of the powder. IMO - powder is fine for mature skin as long as you don't use too much.Under the powder I use a Josie Maron concealer crayon where ever necessary - love it. I also like laura Geller hydrating spackle as a primer.

Super Contributor

Haven't changed my skincare, yet changing my foundation did make a big difference (in a positive way!).

Now using Clinique Even Better Glow foundation. The glow element gives my skin a sheen that makes me look healthy and thus... younger.  There are lots of shades and was able to get a great match for my skin.

Respected Contributor

@isaboo wrote:

Exfoliate, use a serum and moisturize.  Then use a high end foundation.  I use Dior Air Flash foundation or Dior Nude.  I use a brush for both.   I spray the Air Flash on the Dior brush that they recommend and apply.  I find less is more when we get older.  I’m 59, too.  I have a glow to my skin that I didn’t have years ago and I think it’s because I use Dior skin care.  I never buy it at full price.  It lasts about 6 months.  I started with samples from the counter and noticed an improvement in my skin in just a few days.  Sometimes we have to pay more to have great skin.   Oh, and I’ve tried the cheaper products and they just didn’t work for me.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A year ago I received a sample of Chanel Healthy Glow (Les Beiges) foundation.  I loved it so much I bought a bottle. It lasted a year - just bought a second bottle.  It comes in a  pump bottle which I like - one pump is all you need.  It's on the expensive side but worth it.  I swear it has made my skin look better and better. I use Bare Minerals Bare Skin Perfecting Veil (Pressed Mineral Veil) over it.  Of course as others have said good skin care is a must as well.  (I'm 65 by the way.)

Respected Contributor

I have to admit I am very happy with the way my skin looks, it's always been good.

As I aged I noticed that my make-up wasn't working as I had trusted for 20+ years. I had used BE for all those years. About 4 years ago I started a new "make-up" search and was pleasantly surprised as to how technology had caught up to make-up. Especially liquid foundation. It had been so bad years ago that I went the mineral route.

After playing around some, I settled on a number of foundations that I now rotate through depending on the look I want. From cheap to expensive I now like Rimmel Lasting Finish, IT Cosmetics CC Cream and Shiseido Synchro Glow. If I want a mineral finish I now use PUR. I often mix the Shiseido in with the Rimmel for a great finish to my skin.

I tried other drugstore foundations too, Almay, L'Oreal and Revlon. None came out like the ones I now use. 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield