Valued Contributor

PTR CC Cream, or Clinique 'almost makeup. Both hide any blotchy skin tones yet make your skin look flawless. I've had so many complements on my 67 yr old skin when I use either. I like PTR better because it is less drying and lasts all day.

I just received the It veil foundation and it doesn't cover the red areas as well as PTR or Clinque. It also doesn't last all day.

I have 'Irish skin.' Freckly, blotchy and dry. I love the PTR CC cream. It acts like a foundation but doesn't look masky nor settle in the wrinkles.

Esteemed Contributor

@skittles2 wrote:

@Trix wrote:

After being brought kicking into the world of primers, and now using one religiously for the past few years I am a firm believer that a mediocre foundation can be elevated to acceptably ok used with a great primer.  For CGR's situation of a foundation losig wear time I think you shoulda start your corrections with a proper moisturizer and then let's get you a great primer.  

This may sound counterintuitive , but if you begin your makeup with a dab of oil (it doesn't have to be argan oil, but that's my morning oil of choice) and your present moisturizer I think your skin will experience a moisture boost.  A great primer will lock that down and create a barrier between the foundation and the skincare. I could write a long list of wonderful options, but would only be able to say that most of them are only equal to -- not better than Laura Geller's Spackle. My personal favorites are Ethereal and Champagne, but they do have a little sheen, therefore a new user may be more comfortable starting with original clear Spackle.  

If you want to stick with IT why don't you consider the new CC Veil for winter.  Please buy it form QVC (if you do) so that you can get the brush.  It's $40 everywhere, but doesn't come with the brush elsewhere.  Other foundations I would suggest for a dry amture face would be Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra 24-Hr. Longwear.  It's a liquid, but very creamy and it stays where you put it until you take it off.  I have worn this foundation in many climate and physical situations and my face looks as fresh hours later as it did in my bathroom after initial application. 

Hi, fabulous info and thank you for an in-depth post! 

I'm 58, not a ton of wrinkles, dry- I have an Auto Immune disease that sucks every bit of moisture out of me. I stopped wearing foundation years ago because it made me look worse.  Recently I order IT CC, well, my gosh I looked the worse I've EVER looked! IT madelines worse....I couldn't wash IT off fast enough.Tried Tarte Amazonian Clay- still made me look older.

Alas, maybe foundation is out of my life forever. 

I do have good skin, texture is pretty good, pores not very big, actually when I went to a very expensive skin care counter where you could walk out with $2000 paid easily on 2-3 products ( not that I intended to do that) -their east coast executive was there- I didn't know who he was, just assumed he was the salesman. he told me I didn't need to buy anything because my skin was very good.I'd like to use a foundation at times, certainly don't want to look drier, or the lines I do have, don't want them to appear deeper or stay after I smile, make experessions.

right now I use, 

oil- either Josie's argan or Perricone's chia seed

Perricone's neuropeptide firming creme

and thats about it.

I'd like:

a great moisturizer,

something to help hollowness under the eye,

under eye concealor for darkening without making looking drier or lines appearing deeper

vertical lines above the mouth,

under brow skin lifting

foundation:

product that would keep lines from appearing deeper or visible after expressions, or making skin drier?

I don't need full coverage foundation, actually prefer a light weight or tinted  moisturizer or primer, I like a dewey look.

same as above for under eye concealor.

May have to go the Botox/filler route for some areas.

I do get Botox for migraines, which helps migraines a lot. it also helps with forehead lines, but I never had them to begin with.

YIKES! I wrote a lot, sorry.Cat Surprised

Cheers 🐺

We share some of the same problems. You need to really try Mally's Poreless foundation at least one time.. I do think it would love the foundation. It takes the place of moisturizer and primer. It's medium coverage, not sheer, nor heavy.. But very nice medium coverage. 

Another we share, hollowness under the eyes. I am about to abandon this hunt and go to try fillers. The last I tried was Dr. Dubrow's specifically for under eye hollowness, supposed to have the most volumage and a sure corrector for this problem. After 30 days of this, very little would be kind to say. Nothing the truth. 

Good luck on your search.

Respected Contributor

@CGR wrote:

As always I'm on the search for the perfect foundation for my dry, over 55, skin that doesn't settle into my wrinkles and make me look even older! Since the Q has had so many new additions, can anyone recommend one? Right now I feel as though nothing will work!!! I've been using It Cosmetics illuminating powder but it seems too drying for this time of the year.

Thanks!!!!

I too have dry mature skin and sometimes a bit sensitive. Up till I got this last IT cushion compact foundation TSV (love it) I was using and loving both Mally Defender BB and L'Oreal Tru Match Lumi.

Mally's Defender bb comes in a tube 1.8 ounces and a little goes a long way. I use my Real Techniques Expert Face brush for both of these foundation. Put a drop on the top of the brush than dot around you face than blend in.

Mally's runs light. I usually wear light but in Mally Defender bb I use light medium. In the L'Oreal Tru Match Lumi I use 3n.

If you are close to an Ulta go and try the Mally defender bb if you are interested in other than a drugstore brand and if it doesn't matter try either the Mally Defender bb or the L'Oreal Tru Match but go to a drug store so you can return shades if you don't pick right the first time. I was very lucky with the L'Oreal, took a long time looking at colors and picked the right one first time which is a first for me.

I can't wear anything powder no matter how moisturizing it says it is, isn't for my dry mature skin, no way but does work for some, not me.

I think anything powder will show up fine lines/wrinkles you didn't even know you had, sure does on me.

Esteemed Contributor

I am 60 and used to wear MAC Studio Tech...I bought the L'Oreal  Lumi and I really like it......

Valued Contributor
@Ceci - does Clinique still sell Almost Make-up? I bought that for years, it was my HG foundation then Clinique discontinued it. Does anyone know if it's a new formula or did they bring it back? TIA!
Trusted Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@skittles2 wrote:

@Trix wrote:

After being brought kicking into the world of primers, and now using one religiously for the past few years I am a firm believer that a mediocre foundation can be elevated to acceptably ok used with a great primer.  For CGR's situation of a foundation losig wear time I think you shoulda start your corrections with a proper moisturizer and then let's get you a great primer.  

This may sound counterintuitive , but if you begin your makeup with a dab of oil (it doesn't have to be argan oil, but that's my morning oil of choice) and your present moisturizer I think your skin will experience a moisture boost.  A great primer will lock that down and create a barrier between the foundation and the skincare. I could write a long list of wonderful options, but would only be able to say that most of them are only equal to -- not better than Laura Geller's Spackle. My personal favorites are Ethereal and Champagne, but they do have a little sheen, therefore a new user may be more comfortable starting with original clear Spackle.  

If you want to stick with IT why don't you consider the new CC Veil for winter.  Please buy it form QVC (if you do) so that you can get the brush.  It's $40 everywhere, but doesn't come with the brush elsewhere.  Other foundations I would suggest for a dry amture face would be Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra 24-Hr. Longwear.  It's a liquid, but very creamy and it stays where you put it until you take it off.  I have worn this foundation in many climate and physical situations and my face looks as fresh hours later as it did in my bathroom after initial application. 

Hi, fabulous info and thank you for an in-depth post! 

I'm 58, not a ton of wrinkles, dry- I have an Auto Immune disease that sucks every bit of moisture out of me. I stopped wearing foundation years ago because it made me look worse.  Recently I order IT CC, well, my gosh I looked the worse I've EVER looked! IT madelines worse....I couldn't wash IT off fast enough.Tried Tarte Amazonian Clay- still made me look older.

Alas, maybe foundation is out of my life forever. 

I do have good skin, texture is pretty good, pores not very big, actually when I went to a very expensive skin care counter where you could walk out with $2000 paid easily on 2-3 products ( not that I intended to do that) -their east coast executive was there- I didn't know who he was, just assumed he was the salesman. he told me I didn't need to buy anything because my skin was very good.I'd like to use a foundation at times, certainly don't want to look drier, or the lines I do have, don't want them to appear deeper or stay after I smile, make experessions.

right now I use, 

oil- either Josie's argan or Perricone's chia seed

Perricone's neuropeptide firming creme

and thats about it.

I'd like:

a great moisturizer,

something to help hollowness under the eye,

under eye concealor for darkening without making looking drier or lines appearing deeper

vertical lines above the mouth,

under brow skin lifting

foundation:

product that would keep lines from appearing deeper or visible after expressions, or making skin drier?

I don't need full coverage foundation, actually prefer a light weight or tinted  moisturizer or primer, I like a dewey look.

same as above for under eye concealor.

May have to go the Botox/filler route for some areas.

I do get Botox for migraines, which helps migraines a lot. it also helps with forehead lines, but I never had them to begin with.

YIKES! I wrote a lot, sorry.Cat Surprised

Cheers 🐺

We share some of the same problems. You need to really try Mally's Poreless foundation at least one time.. I do think it would love the foundation. It takes the place of moisturizer and primer. It's medium coverage, not sheer, nor heavy.. But very nice medium coverage. 

Another we share, hollowness under the eyes. I am about to abandon this hunt and go to try fillers. The last I tried was Dr. Dubrow's specifically for under eye hollowness, supposed to have the most volumage and a sure corrector for this problem. After 30 days of this, very little would be kind to say. Nothing the truth. 

Good luck on your search.

Thank you for your input. You're right, it won't hurt to try mally. And I've been thinking about fillers for the hollowness. Seriously, skin care can only do so much, no real lifting, I mean jowls aren't going back up to the cheek, the area under brows that fall over the eye- not much is going to lift that- there's a nice procedure for that and often insurance covers it because it affects the eye.

Still love my skin care though, will always need that for hydration and the little effects it can give, little, yes, but I'll take it and look into doing a few procedures/fillers/maybe botox in other aes ( i get it for migraines which has been a life saver).

In the long run it's money well spent, solves a problem, can get off the crazy -trying-every kind- of skin care merry-go-round for some things, and save money that way tooCat Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Respected Contributor

I just saw an ad on TV this evening advertising CG & OOO combined for the newer version of Ageless that use to only come in compact form(cream) and now comes in a pump bottle.

I tried the cream but cream is not for me,  takes longer to put on but I just may try the newer version in the pump bottle. It looks like swirls when you see it through the glass or plastic bottle.

I really don't want or like to spend $40 for a foundation so I may look into this newer version of CG and Olay one since I like both lines and use nothing but Oil of Olay on my face which works the best for me of anything.

I was using and really liking the L'Oreal tru match lumi in 3n ans was and still am very happy with this, very very nice and lasts on a long time. You can get a yellow base in this, neutral, cool or warm, many shades to choose from plus it wears really well and looks very natural on all day and night.

I will probably stay with this most likely since as I say, just hate spending $40 and more for a foundation when this is just a good and in most cases even better than the higher end ones are.