Frequent Contributor

No matter what brand I buy, I am in between the lightest and the next to lightest so one is too light and then next is too dark and I don't want to buy two foundations and mix them since it never works out right.  What should i do = go lighter or darker? 

Honored Contributor

That is similar to my experiences too but I have found ones that work- it just takes alot of time (and money frankly)  to find some that do work. I am like you in that  I refuse to buy two of different colors and mix them. I just don't like all that trouble, mess and extra cost. 

I am sure you will get different answers but I always say to go a bit lighter if you really can't find a good match.. There are ways you can warm up your skin using bronzers, etc. IMO, one of the worst beauty mistakes so many women make is going too dark on their foundation. I really dislike that line of demarcation you often see between the chin line and the neck. I think it looks awful. 

Honored Contributor

I would go with lightest. Is it powders or liquids you are having this problem or both?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Bunk, me too, and I have the bathroom full of fair and light in IT and other things to prove it. I hate mixing. If I wear fair DH says I look sick, and if I wear light, I can see the orangy-tan undertone in my car mirror. I love IT CC but come on, we need more shades (and less added color correctors=more neutral undertone, yay).

Honored Contributor

Same here. I own powders, primers and even spf's that work to lighten foundations. Being pale, it's what you do.

Respected Contributor

Go lighter - you can always use a bronzer to darken.  I use Skinn plasma foundation - his foundations tend to be a little on the yellow side so I chose the light color - it came with a bottle of bronzing drops which I absolutely love!  I put one drop  in my foundation for the day and it matches my skin perfectly.  There are similar drops with other companies, you might check into them. 

Respected Contributor

I am agreeing with @hoosieroriginal, I go lighter and then used bronzer or a darker powder foundation after.

Honored Contributor

bunk---go to Ulta or Sephora of Nordstroms to one of the make up brands and have them match your foundation shade; you may spend a little more on it,but totally worth it. Then you use some bronzing powder to warm it up during the summer. My daughter did that at Ulta and came away with the perfect color for her very fair skin. Looks so natural and lovely. She uses Philosphy. They match the skin of your neck. I'm doing that next time I am at Ulta as I am between a light and medium warm color. Would be great to have the right base shade.

Honored Contributor

If I can't find an exact match then I go with the shade that is closest to my shade on the lighter side of the chart. Add a darker powder on top to blend it out. Remember to match your foundation to your neck and chest first.

Contributor

I havent found a foundation that matches my skin perfectly, so I bought a foundation mixer and now I mix my own. Its a pain to figure out how much mixer vs. foundation but once you figure it out it works. Good luck!