Respected Contributor

Foundation colors on a photo

Is the worst representation of them EVER.  I need to see the ACTUAL color on a swatch or somehow.

MOST foundations are too yellow for my very fair skintone.  I can rule them out if I can actually SEE them.  Models don't help me either, as you cannot detect the nuances of the color. 

WHY have they moved in this direction?  I cannot believe I am the only one who doesn't like it.  A photo or a model tells me nothing.  I need to SEE the actual foundation itself to decide if it might work for me.  I cannot ever defer to medium, so saying that is foolish. 

I bet ladies in the darker spectrum have the same difficulty with the nuance of color.  We all can usually tell by seeing the actual color if it has too much whatever to look good on us. 

It's a bad idea, and should be stopped.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Re: Foundation colors on a photo

ITA! It's so frustrating!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree. I could never pick s color from a picture. What I usually do is a quick Google search on any foundation I buy. You can usually find a picture with all the shades swiped. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree and have complained about it also.  I don't know why they just can't have all the compacts or tubes on display for us to see the shades.  Looking at  a small pictures of models on my TV screen is totally useless to me.  

Respected Contributor

I don't care if it's liquid, mineral, compact, powder, etc.

You need to see the actual product.  I can usually tell if it's too much yellow for me.  Which is a whole other bone of contention when buying the fair color.

Nothing is "forgiving" for my skin if it's yellow, and there's a LOT of yellow out there!

Of course, some of the companies make other shades that QVC chooses not to carry. 

You need it there or swatched on a white background.  Even on a model's arm, it can distort the color. 

Glad to know I am not the only one!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003You might want to try Clinique's Repairwear Liquid Foundation in color #3 which is actually "no color".  It works for me and I can't take a drop of yellow.  There is also a "no color" powder.  Department stores will refund returned makeup you tried out.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

It is more helpful to see both the photos and the swatches.

(Not that I do foundation.)

But the photos give you some idea of where you might fall within the range. And the swatches will pinpoint the proper shade.

However, there really is not much variety of shade choices. BE is the best with shade choice, except they are never on.

Respected Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

It is more helpful to see both the photos and the swatches.

(Not that I do foundation.)

But the photos give you some idea of where you might fall within the range. And the swatches will pinpoint the proper shade.

However, there really is not much variety of shade choices. BE is the best with shade choice, except they are never on.

I have noticed they are not on nearly as much.  Wonder why.

I think losing Leslie made a big difference.  But, maybe that's not it either!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Even when you see a foundation sitting on a shelf at the store, it might look totally different when you put it on your skin. Very frustrating!