Honored Contributor

Re: Foundation brushes..what am I doing wrong?

@DianeFL I only use brushes for blush and setting powder.  For my tinted moisturizer (your foundation) I use a facial makeup sponge that comes to a point.  The point is on the top and is good for eye area and bottom or sides are good for the rest of the face.  Maybe apply your foundation using your magnified mirror and see if that helps you out. Good luck.  HeartCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Hi..Thanks for all the info.  I use the brush that comes with the foundation...tarte amazoian clay and  IT CC to name two.  I think I will just stick with my fingers.  I've tried one of those blenders and could not seem to get that to work either. 

It just looks so easy on tv when the use the brush plus I wouldn't have make up all over my fingers but hey that's an easy fix. 

I also have tried the powder makeup bare minerals, loreal mineral and IT Celebration.  In fact I used the Celebration last week and remembered why I didn't like it.  I don't have a lot of wrinkles but that just seemed to settle in any of them that I do have.  I may check out the real tech. blender so many of you recommened.  The one I got was from Ulta shaped like an egg.

Thanks again ladies.

Esteemed Contributor

@DianeFL  I'm just curious,  want to ask if you've checked out utube application videos?  

Lots to view, whether it's age specific, various foundations or techniques. 

I was able to master my beauty blender after viewing several very helpful  videos. Of course,  more practice, better results. 

Frequent Contributor

Yes I have watched a few but it was some time ago.  I did watch the real technique video yesterday after my second post.  I may try the sponge again and practice with it or like I said just go back to using my fingers...they worked this long lol  I just thought the brush would keep my fingers clean plus give a smoother application but as long as I use my magnified mirror I know it's smooth even when using my fingers.  

Esteemed Contributor

I really like the eve pearl foundation brush.  What I have found is that I need to keep on top of hydrating my skin for most foundations to go on smoothly.  I also like the sponges for foundations and cc creams. 

Trusted Contributor

@DianeFL wrote:

I need some help from you ladies.  When ever I try to put foundation on with a foundation brush it looks good in the mirror but when I look down into my magnified mirror it's a mess!  It's all streaked and not evenly applied.  I always end up putting more on

with my fingers and "fixing" it.  I don't know if I'm using too much or just don't have the technique down. 

I've tried putting a dab on the back of my hand as I've seen demonstrated and it still does not work.   Also it seems as if alot of the product gets wasted going into the brush.  Thanks for any help and tips you can give me.  I'm 63 and still learning!  Sorry if the spoiler alert comes up..I always think it's the smiley face because it's yellow!  LOL

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley Happy

Invest in an Artis foundation brush and your foundation is no longer an issue.  Every form, composition of foundation applies flawlessly- powder, liquid, cream, mineral you'll get perfect distribution without streaks.  

Ask any artist, they'll tell you your brush is everything. 

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

What's your technique? When I use liquid foundation I always use a brush. I pump the foundation onto the back of my hand and then dab a little onto the brush and then swirl on my hand before applying to my face. I repeat this a little foundation at a time as apply to different areas of my face. 

I'm using Urban Decay Naked foundation and their foundation brush. 

@jaxs mom  She is right.  Using a foundation brush is almost a dry brush technique.  It is a mess if you get too much foundation.  You put a dot of the foundation on your hand and put the tip of the brush in the dot and drag a little on your hand away from the dot.  Load the tip of the brush with the foundation smeared on your hand--don't dip it in the blob of foundation on your hand.

You need to spread the foundation out a little and work it onto the brush so the brush isn't wet and loaded too much.  Then brush on a small area of your face and get the hang of it.  You will use half as much foundation and it will look totally natural.  You will get the hang of it and it will e a snap.  I don't need foundation on my whole face, so I work it on where I need it and blend it out to the other "better" areas of my face.

Practice using just a little dab of foundation and blend it out on your hand to get it on the brush!