Honored Contributor

Re: Foundation brushes..what am I doing wrong?

I use my fingers and then a sponge  to finish it up. And I have a beauty blender sponge and it is worthless as mammary glands on a boar--IMHO-- of course. Mine is so hard and I don't like the shape at all. Was thinking of cutting it in half to use. However---the cleaner for the beauty blender--is the BEST cleaner for your brushes hands down. If your fingers are clean, why not use what the good lord gave you. And I use a piece of tissue to blot the foundation afterwards--seem to leave a texture more like your skin and not streaks from your fingers or a brush.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not all foundations work with all brushes, so finding the right combination is tricky. Some of the QVC foundation/TSV sets even come with brushes that don't work well with the product. (I am looking right at you, Josie Maran Vibrancy Foundation.) So if you're having trouble and don't want to fight it anymore, I'd recommend not using the brush. There's no rule that says you have to use a brush.

Use your fingers or use a sponge. Some foundations work better with fingers than anything else. Some work better with a sponge. The Real Techniques sponge is a much better value than the Beauty Blender and works just as well. I love mine.

Respected Contributor

I used to have the worst time applying foundation with a brush until I found one at Sephora. Even using my fingers smeared and streaked it. I am using the Sephora Pro Press Full Coverage Complexion Brush #66. I stipple my foundation and it applies very smoothly. This brush is very unique. It is quite dense with a sort of triangle brush head. It doesn't absorb excessive amounts of foundation either. I have been using this for almost a year and very happy that I found it.

Honored Contributor

I use a foundation brush and a few drops on it is enough for your face. 

Brushes should be cleaned weekly if used daily. The more product on the brush, I've noticed more streakiness on the face. So excess liquid can cause the problems you are describing. I use a pump to dispense the foundation -- Lancôme Teint Idole or Almay Truly Lasting Color are 2 examples. As someone else mentioned -- less is better, bright lighting helps too to see if any spots were missed. 

I do not use the small amount on the hand and dip brush into solution method.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What's your technique? When I use liquid foundation I always use a brush. I pump the foundation onto the back of my hand and then dab a little onto the brush and then swirl on my hand before applying to my face. I repeat this a little foundation at a time as apply to different areas of my face. 

I'm using Urban Decay Naked foundation and their foundation brush. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I occasionally use my fingers to apply my stick foundation, but I do prefer a brush. All my brushes are synthetic. They are especially good for foundation because they don't absorb nearly so much as do natural brushes...besides, I like them better. Mine are all Sedona brushes; I highly recommend them.

I don't use any  type of sponge.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Try a beauty blender, they work really well. I have no luck with brushes, but these little sponges are the bomb.

Same here! I have no luck with brushes, too. It makes my streaky everywhere.  The real technique sponges works just as well as the beauty blender for me.  When I am in a hurry, fingers work well, too.

Agreed! I rarely use liquid foundation anymore but I would always use my fingers using a tapping type application technique because I never really liked the finish of foundation brushes. Since trying the beauty blender (or any similar sponge), I really like the finish it provides. I use a tapping motion with the liquid and the sponge. Unlike most though, I dont like to use the sponge damp- I use it dry and I tap the foundation on directly to my face using fingers or I put a little on my hand and then use the sponge to dot onto my face and tap it around. 

I have several different types of foundation brushes with different types of liquid foundations and have tried all kinds of techniques to apply the liquid with the brush but have never really liked the finish or application using a brush. 

Different strokes for different folks!

Honored Contributor

@DianeFL wrote:

I need some help from you ladies.  When ever I try to put foundation on with a foundation brush it looks good in the mirror but when I look down into my magnified mirror it's a mess!  It's all streaked and not evenly applied.  I always end up putting more on

with my fingers and "fixing" it.  I don't know if I'm using too much or just don't have the technique down. 

I've tried putting a dab on the back of my hand as I've seen demonstrated and it still does not work.   Also it seems as if alot of the product gets wasted going into the brush.  Thanks for any help and tips you can give me.  I'm 63 and still learning!  Sorry if the spoiler alert comes up..I always think it's the smiley face because it's yellow!  LOL

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley Happy

@DianeFL

I don't understand why you feel the need to use a brush in the first place.  The fibers "eat" the liquid so it will get used up faster.   

I think any consistency foundation is best applied with the pad of the ring finger.   Better application control, and less wasteful.

Throw the brush away.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@DianeFL wrote:

I need some help from you ladies.  When ever I try to put foundation on with a foundation brush it looks good in the mirror but when I look down into my magnified mirror it's a mess!  It's all streaked and not evenly applied.  I always end up putting more on

with my fingers and "fixing" it.  I don't know if I'm using too much or just don't have the technique down. 

I've tried putting a dab on the back of my hand as I've seen demonstrated and it still does not work.   Also it seems as if alot of the product gets wasted going into the brush.  Thanks for any help and tips you can give me.  I'm 63 and still learning!  Sorry if the spoiler alert comes up..I always think it's the smiley face because it's yellow!  LOL

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley Happy

@DianeFL

I don't understand why you feel the need to use a brush in the first place.  The fibers "eat" the liquid so it will get used up faster.   

I think any consistency foundation is best applied with the pad of the ring finger.   Better application control, and less wasteful.

Throw the brush away.

@Tinkrbl44, synthetic brushes most definitely do not "eat" your product. Natural brushes? That's a different story.

With my stick foundation, I have found that using my brush does give a better result than when I'm more lazy and use my fingers.

It really boils down to personal preference, product being used, and maybe even the individual's skin.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@DianeFL,

If it's streaking, you have too much foundation loaded on the brush.  Use the tiniest amount possible, far, far less then when using your fingers or a sponge.  It's easier to add more foundation if you need more coverage then it is trying to remove too much. 

I have good luck using a dense flat top synthetic brush and very little foundation is wasted in the brush (I use L'Oreal True Match foundation, thin and liquidy).  The brush I use is similar to Sephora Pro Liquid Foundation #63 brush.  I also wash my brush every time I use it so it's clean for the next use.  The thought of only washing a foundation brush once a week and all those little beasties growing in the foundation left in the brush....blech, gives me the willies, lol.