Frequent Contributor

Foundation brushes..what am I doing wrong?

I need some help from you ladies.  When ever I try to put foundation on with a foundation brush it looks good in the mirror but when I look down into my magnified mirror it's a mess!  It's all streaked and not evenly applied.  I always end up putting more on

with my fingers and "fixing" it.  I don't know if I'm using too much or just don't have the technique down. 

I've tried putting a dab on the back of my hand as I've seen demonstrated and it still does not work.   Also it seems as if alot of the product gets wasted going into the brush.  Thanks for any help and tips you can give me.  I'm 63 and still learning!  Sorry if the spoiler alert comes up..I always think it's the smiley face because it's yellow!  LOL

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Re: Foundation brushes..what am I doing wrong?

How about just useing your fingers?  I think its silly to use a brush. 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it's your foundation, and not your brush?  I've used a brush to apply my makeup for eons.  When I use my usual compact foundation, it blends beautifully every time.  Some liquid foundations I've tried just don't work with a brush.  

Some foundations work with a brush, and some don't.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@DianeFL I apply foundation sparingly with my fingers in a tapping motion. I concentrate mainly on the areas that need it.Then I go over it with a few swirls of a foundation brush to make sure it is well blended.That gives me a natural youthful look.The trick is less is more!

Respected Contributor

I think if your foundation is thinner (more watery), then it would be harder to apply with a brush than if it were thicker and more dense.  Personally, I've never been able to get accustomed to liquid foundations at all, so I still use the powder compact type (Mally, IT, or Laura Geller).  I'm careful to use lots of moisterizer first (or primer if you prefer), and I use the powders sparingly.  It's so much faster and easier for me, and I think it looks more natural (I'm 68).  I choose a shade somewhat darker than my natural face color in order to add some extra color.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Try a beauty blender, they work really well. I have no luck with brushes, but these little sponges are the bomb.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Try a beauty blender, they work really well. I have no luck with brushes, but these little sponges are the bomb.

Same here! I have no luck with brushes, too. It makes my streaky everywhere.  The real technique sponges works just as well as the beauty blender for me.  When I am in a hurry, fingers work well, too.

Esteemed Contributor

Agree w/ 2blonde! The consistency of the foundation would determine what brush you would use.

What foundation are you using, and are you using the brush that came with it?

Besides the Beauty Blender, you can also check out the synthetic brushes. These might be used for a more dense foundation. (Sorry, I was searching for a photo, but to no avail.)

Respected Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Same here! I have no luck with brushes, too. It makes my streaky everywhere.  The real technique sponges works just as well as the beauty blender for me.  When I am in a hurry, fingers work well, too.

I,too, like the Real Technique sponge. It provides a much better finish than a brush. Also great for applying powder and concealer. The Real Techniques website has a video of application techniques using the sponge. One of my favorite beauty products.

Super Contributor

Yup I totally agree, the only brush i like are the spoon looking one, but my favorite way to apply any type of foundation is with Real Techenique beauty sponge or a Beauty blender