Respected Contributor

I swear by Dermalogica's Hydrablur primer. It evens skin tone and makes your face look flawless.

Primer is a must for me. I've applied foundation with and without and there is a definite difference

Valued Contributor

I like Laura Mercier makeup primer...

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus- if you ever find that miracle product, please let me know! I'll be following this thread closely.

I wear different primers for different reasons, and different primers with different foundations. My favorite right now (subject to change) is the Mally Neutralizing primer A27585. It really really covers and conceals all my blotches and gives me a smooth, even complexion. I just apply finishing powder or LG's B&B over it. Just wish it had sunscreen it in, but I do use a sunscreen finishing powder sometimes.

(p.s. I also have oily skin -- my T-zone gets oily no matter what.  That said, Cover Girl has a primer for combo skin that keeps my complexion dryer than most.  I use Cover Girl primer under their AquaSmooth foundation.)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@Shanus- if you ever find that miracle product, please let me know! I'll be following this thread closely.

I wear different primers for different reasons, and different primers with different foundations. My favorite right now (subject to change) is the Mally Neutralizing primer A27585. It really really covers and conceals all my blotches and gives me a smooth, even complexion. I just apply finishing powder or LG's B&B over it. Just wish it had sunscreen it in, but I do use a sunscreen finishing powder sometimes.

(p.s. I also have oily skin -- my T-zone gets oily no matter what.  That said, Cover Girl has a primer for combo skin that keeps my complexion dryer than most.  I use Cover Girl primer under their AquaSmooth foundation.)

I eliminated primer because it just added an extra step to morning skincare cleanse, exfoliate, serum, moisturize, SPF and then Tinted Moisturizer. I did find out that all BB moisturizers contain a built in primer. There are some that are gel or oil free formulas for oily skin. I use those in my T Zone, another Moisturizer/primer on the rest of my face. 

It's really too many products in the morning. Unless I'm in a situation that I need makeup to stay on for 8 hrs. or more (very rare), I don't use a primer. When I get home, the first thing I take off is my bra and then I remove my makeup (even if mid-afternoon) as long as I'm not going back out.

Trusted Contributor

I've tried a gazillion primers, none work for me...it must be my skin...the only one that semi works is becca matte primer-but only use if u have very oily skin..it goes on like elmers glue, but does keep me matteSmiley Frustrated

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

I am in love with The Ordinary primers: they make two-at their prices, I ordered both! I have never used anything like them before-ever.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

What?  No one has suggested Monistat Chafing Gel?   I learned about using this as a primer probably 12 years ago on this forum.  I've tried a few others (gifts with purchase) over the years but haven't found anything that's better and most weren't as good.  What did we do before primers!  Can't imagine putting on foundation without it.

Honored Contributor

What causes makeup to start rolling up into little balls w/ some primers? That's another reason I stopped wearing them.

Honored Contributor

Here's another vote for Laura Mercier primer.  She offers several different ones.  HeartCat Wink

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I have dry combo skin and use Laura Geller's Champagne primer. I've also tried a sample of It Cosmetics #50 which was very nice,but too expensive for such a small bottle. 

The only time I've ever had makeup ball up on my face was when I tried philosophy renewed hope in a jar. I switched to philosophy ultimate miracle and all of my makeup goes on perfectly.