Valued Contributor

Re: Foundation: Do You Match Your Skin Color or Go A Shade Darker?

I'd recommend Bobbi Brown. I use the foundation stick in the cooler months and the liquid foundation in the warmer months. I have medium/tan skintone and I tan very easily so I go one shade darker in the summer time. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I discovered tinted moisturizer some years ago, I stopped wearing "strictly foundation". I love No. 7 and get it at Walgreens. The medium shade works well for me - it's not heavy and just helps to even out the skin tone. At 71, I don't need much else, but that might not be what you're looking for.

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm  I match my foundation with my neck; it's not that much darker than my face. For dry skin, I've heard a lot of good things about the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation - satin finish. I've not tried it because I have normal/oily skin. For a total matte finish you could use the Laura Mercier translucent setting powder. HTH  🙂

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

I match my foundation to my skin, near the jaw line.  To hide fine lines if using a powder, I use a primer first. I find I don't need the primer as much when using liquid foundations. I have normal skin.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

I am on the light side most of the year and barely light medium for summer.  I usually go my shade, and bronze up with Tarte, LG, or Benefit Hoola.  That way there is no line of demarcation.  I hate putting makeup down my neck because it gets all over my shirts, jackets and sweaters.  I would not say I stay out of the sun, but I wear spf50 365 days a year even in New England,

Valued Contributor

@Kabella how do you keep the makeup off your clothes? This is my biggest gripe... the time and money spent trying to get foundation off my blouses and button down collar shirts for work is irritating. I use UD setting spray but maybe not enough? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@ajsidney12  The answer is you don't...I just blend foundation  slightly at the beginning of my neck. If you apply foundation down your neck it does rub off on shirt collars even with a heavy hand of applying setting spray. Why do you apply foundation on your neck? Its not needed if you choose a shade close to you skintone. If it's too dark it won't blend well with your neck's skintone which is lighter.