Honored Contributor

Re: Foundation: Do You Match Your Skin Color or Go A Shade Darker?

I went to Ulta before all this virus thing happened and the young lady matched the foundation to my neck color---turns out I am a warm light, not the medium that makes me look yellow----she spread a line of it on my neck and stepped back to look at it---and she was right---I look so much better in my foundation---when I wear it of course!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Whenever I've had someone at Sephora or Nordstrom color match me for a new foundation, they always blend it at my jawline and I've found that the colors are always good because they blend in with both my face and neck.

For a good drugstore foundation, I would recommend L'Oreal Infallible Fresh Wear 24HR Foundation or Wet n Wild Photo Focus.  The L'Oreal has a better shade range.

For a department store foundation, I'd recommend Estee Lauder Futurist Hydra Rescue Moisturizing Makeup.

All of these have medium buildable coverage and good staying power.

I woudl definitely recommend going to Sephora when you can and getting some samples.  Some foundations really oxidize or break down after a few hours so I've learned to never buy a full size new foundation without getting a sample first.  Good luck, finding a new foundation can be like trying to find a perfect fitting pair of jeans!

Honored Contributor

I match my foundation to my face.  When I am tanner in the summer, I buy a darker foundation shade.

Honored Contributor

I match to my skin as close as possible.  My skin gets lighter as you go down to neck and chest and I don't want it to look like I have foundation on.  Also, I was with a friend once and noticed how her foundation was obvious at her hairline, so I'm particular about that too.  Of course, since my scalp doesn't get sun it's going to be lighter than my face, but I make sure I blend well.  It's just a personal sticking point for me.

I found all the ones sold on the shopping channels seem to have yellow undertones that I don't want.  I found my best neutral match in a Nars foundation.  I had already picked the color using one of the online foundation finders before I went into the store, but the sales associate also picked that color for me.  

Honored Contributor

I absolutely love the feel and silky texture of Bobbi Brown Intensive Antiaging Skin Serum.  So many colors you can match your complection easily.  I suggest having it matched on a department store first.

Honored Contributor

I'm very fair - and always go lighter if it's a toss-up between two shades.

Currently using a light beige.  I have neutral undertone.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG Is this a "no makeup" makeup look?  When you say serum, I'm thinking it must be very sheer.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA What brand do you use?  I guess I'll stick with matching my foundation to my face.  That seems like the right way to do it and how I've always done it.  I'm probably watching too manyYou Tube makeup tutorials Smiley Surprised  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@ECBG Is this a "no makeup" makeup look?  When you say serum, I'm thinking it must be very sheer.

@monicakm It's a light foundation with an anti aging serum!  It feels like liquid silk!

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

I've been using Avon's True Color Flawless Cream to Powder foundation for quite a few yars.  It ha a very nice matte finish. 

There are 12 colors - so the odds are good that you'll find a color that's a good match.

-----------------------------

@monicakm wrote:

@ALRATIBA What brand do you use?  I guess I'll stick with matching my foundation to my face.  That seems like the right way to do it and how I've always done it.  I'm probably watching too manyYou Tube makeup tutorials Smiley Surprised