Honored Contributor

Foundation: Do You Match Your Skin Color or Go A Shade Darker?

I need a change in foundation.  A change in forumula and, I think, color.  I stay as far away from the sun as possible.  Heat/sun and I don't get along.  I'm 61 w/ dry skin.  I prefer a matte formula or demi matte.  I've been using Revlon ColorStay (color 180) for years but I'm seeing a need for a change in formulation.  The formula just isn't as silky smooth as it used to be.  I don't know if it's me or Revlon.  I'm in the neutral color range, light medim and want med coverage with staying power!  When the stores open again, I want to try a few higher end brands but for now I'll have to stick with something from WM.  Any suggestions for a drug store brand and for later a Sephora/dept store brand?  Do you match your skin or go a shade darker???

Regular Contributor

Re: Foundation: Do You Match Your Skin Color or Go A Shade Darker?

I’m liking Maybelline Super Stay. It provides nice coverage and goes on easily. Can’t help you on the color because I’m a blotchy paleface. I always go a shade lighter because if I go darker, I feel like it makes my face look dirty. I’m 63 with dry sensitive skin. Heat and sun don’t like me either. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm I am surprised to read that you like matte foundation with dry skin. I have normal skin and find matte shows every line and wrinkle. Anyway, I am neutral and light. I have tried on dozens and dozens of foundations and could not get a color I was happy with until I tried Cle de Peau. It is (what I consider expensive), but it lasts a year with wearing it every day. It has enough coverage to hide flaws and a beautiful finish. Every time a new foundation comes out I try it but it never is exactly right for me, and I keep going back to the Cle de Peau (radiant finish). To answer your question I match my skin color. I do not like when you see a change in color between your jawline and neck.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm Have you tried mixing a drop of facial oil with your foundation. For now that might solve the problem until you can get to a dept. store or Sephora. I am also a light to med. complextion & I do try to match my skin tone but not a shade darker but just a bit darker that its not noticable but blends well with my neck. I have normal skin now but I use to have skin that was more on the dry side but never used a matte or semi-matte. I do like Armani silk foundation which I consider a more satin finish. That & BM original & BM complexion rescue which has more glow than Armani. Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm   Foundation should always exactly match your face. If your neck is darker, you can use a bit of bronzer to warm up your complexion to match. Since you mentioned your skin is dry and you're 61, a matte or semi-matte finish may not be the best choice now. Foundations with a dewey finish are more youthful and you can use a setting powder in the t zone. Cream blushes are also better since they don't settle into lines...same with more forgiving non-matte foundations. 

Whether drugstore or dept. store, I'd look for light to medium coverage that says for dry skin (would leave that slightly moist finish). If there are areas that need more coverage, use a small brush and a concealer in the foundation shade. I think this gives a much younger appearance than a heavier coverage foundation. No ones complexion is one color, perfection all over. It's better to let your skin show through...more natural. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you use a primer? You could also add a bit of your facial moisturizer to your foundation. Have you ever tried tinted moisturizers? They don’t have as many shade ranges but you might find one that you like. That’s what I use and like the smooth & silky application. 

I am fair skinned. My skin is still a bit oily even though I am in my late 50s. I try to match my shade to my skin as closely as possible. I never go darker because it would look strange to have my neck and décolletage lighter than my face. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

Do you use a primer? You could also add a bit of your facial moisturizer to your foundation. Have you ever tried tinted moisturizers? They don’t have as many shade ranges but you might find one that you like. That’s what I use and line the smooth & silky application. 

I am fair skinned. My skin is still a bit oily even though I am in my late 50s. I try to match my shade to my skin as closely as possible. I never go darker because it would look strange to have my neck and décolletage lighter than my face. 

@wilma   I use tinted moisturizer as well. There are more shades in Bobbi Brown than most other lines. After application, my trusty concealer covers any redness around my nose, etc. I keep 2 shades of concealer...a shade lighter for under eyes and a shade the same as complexion for touching up.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@wilma wrote:

Do you use a primer? You could also add a bit of your facial moisturizer to your foundation. Have you ever tried tinted moisturizers? They don’t have as many shade ranges but you might find one that you like. That’s what I use and line the smooth & silky application. 

@wilma   I use tinted moisturizer as well. There are more shades in Bobbi Brown than most other lines. After application, my trusty concealer covers any redness around my nose, etc. I keep 2 shades of concealer...a shade lighter for under eyes and a shade the same as complexion for touching up.

@Shanus 

Sounds like our routines are similar. I actually mix 2 tinted moisturizers together to get a shade that works for me. I then use concealer and highlighter as needed.

I’ve seen BB makeup presentations, but I have never tried her products. I’ll check out Bobby Brown’s shades of tinted moisturizers. Thanks for the info. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma   BB has a shade finder. They'll send you a sample card in the light, medium or dark range so you can try out the choices. No charge for shipping either way on foundations/concealers. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm  You may want to look into No 7 sold at Target and Walgreens.  It is reasonably priced and offer excellent products.  There are several foundations to choose from.

For higher end, Bobbi Brown offers excellent foundations.  I recently purchased her new liquid to powder for $40 which I got for $34.  She had a great range of shades with different undertones.  This foundation is sweatproof and has spf plus a matte finish.  It is for normal to oily skin.  I am normal so it works for me.  If you prefer something for dry skin check out her other foundations.  When choosing a foundation, I look for a pink undertone in light to match my skin tone and it's perfect for me.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength