Respected Contributor

Re: Found Out What Was Causing My Face to be Red

Not surprised, Exfoliating pads are usually a mild acid, and anti aging products with retinol, can also be a strong agent that accelerates cell turnover. Together, these can be a lot for skin. Start with 1 thing, thenslowly add the next, etc... to see what your skin tolerates. Best wishes... 💃

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

It is called again gracefully and taking care of yourself, no one is trying to look 25, but they are trying to look as good as they can at any given age.

@Kachina624 wrote:

Why, oh why do women do this to themselves?  Then in the end they still have wrinkles and look no younger.  The cosmetic companies laugh all the way to the bank.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It was exfoliating pads, serums and other anti ageing products.  I've cut most out except a couple of serums that don't irritate my skin and some simple moisturizers from L'Occitane and others.

I had tried so many things and could NOT get of the redness.  It was products--those designed to get rid of it, and so many of the anti-ageing products so many people use and love.

My skin just can't take it.  It looks great now and I am going to be VERY careful if I try anything else.  If it makes me red or irritated in the least out it goes.

I have been using a LaRoche Posey facial wash that is great!  NO irritation from it at all. 

I thought I'd post this because it might help someone else.  Some of us just can't tolerate these things.

@Sooner I had the same problem. I had a lot of redness to my face. I use Wen body treatment on my face & it seems to have gotten rid of a lot of the redness I had. I also use Isomers Glutathiosome in the morning & Isomers RPur at night. Don't know if one or both of those also helped.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I had a bad reaction to Peter Thomas Roth product but I don't blame him because he did say that it is not for sensitive skin.  Well, I did not think my skin was that sensitive -- well it is.  I am like you.  No more antiaging products.  I stick with Marula oil and Argan oil amd I have a Brightening Argan oil with ciitrus from Acure Organics.  I had the Rose Argan oil which was very nice and I thought I would try something different and there is one more but I can't remember the name.  I also use an spf 15 moisturizer by No. 7 called Beautiful Skin. I use my Pop Sonic Leaflet for exfoliating and cleansing.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Glad you resolved this. Same thing happened to me with make-up remover, eye pads. Red and sore. Never mind on that.

@jeanlake  I don't think it will ever be resolved!  LOL!!!  They discontinue things and change formulas and sometimes you have get get new products.  But I have learned the hard way, try a little bit, don't think "oh the red will decrease as you get used to this," and such and so forth!  

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

Sounds like too many products.  You know sometimes less is more.  I think you may be able to use them still but not all at once

@kcladyz  Nope, it is specific products, and very many of them are the anti ageing products.  They are just too harsh for my skin.  Even some of the serums like Estee Lauder ones were making my face red and it took a LONG time to realize what was causing it.  

I haven't found one moisturizer with all this "stuff" in it that my skin will tolerate.  Even things my derm recommended.  I am beginning to think also that I am allergic or react to a LOT of shampoos and face creams that are colored blue. . .  You just never know do you?  I've been at this over a year testing things and I am VERY surprised!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

ITA...same here. Same last year when the heat kicked on. I have never had dry skin before in my life. Now, I am carefully dealing with it + the sensitivity.♥️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Kachina624

It is called again gracefully and taking care of yourself, no one is trying to look 25, but they are trying to look as good as they can at any given age.

@Kachina624 wrote:

Why, oh why do women do this to themselves?  Then in the end they still have wrinkles and look no younger.  The cosmetic companies laugh all the way to the bank.

@I am still oxox. Sounds like it's entirely possible to do more harm than good.  Burning your skin with chemicals can't be beneficial.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It was exfoliating pads, serums and other anti ageing products.  I've cut most out except a couple of serums that don't irritate my skin and some simple moisturizers from L'Occitane and others.

I had tried so many things and could NOT get of the redness.  It was products--those designed to get rid of it, and so many of the anti-ageing products so many people use and love.

My skin just can't take it.  It looks great now and I am going to be VERY careful if I try anything else.  If it makes me red or irritated in the least out it goes.

I have been using a LaRoche Posey facial wash that is great!  NO irritation from it at all. 

I thought I'd post this because it might help someone else.  Some of us just can't tolerate these things.

@Sooner

Amen to that!  I am pretty much the same way.  I feel like a failure at times because I see, hear and read about so many people using all of these products to exfoliate, and help with aging and other skin issues, and its like, they are doing everything they can to look young and have their skin stay in peak condition.  Then there is me --- I have to think, re-think, and then think again, every little single thing I dab on my face!  So frustrating.  I want to look better and I want to have younger looking skin and address all these issues like everyone else, but for the most part --- these products --- ugh ---- I just can't tolerate them!  What I wouldn't give to be able to use RetinA and products such as this.  But --- no way.  I am thankful --- grateful even -- that my skin at 65 is as good as it is.  But knowing that there are things out there that could make a difference, but thanks to my uber sensitive skin, rosacea, etc., I cannot benefit from them.  Well -- it is what it is and so we just have to make the best of it, right?  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Frequent Contributor

I had the same problem.  I am 50 yo and for the past 5 years my cheeks have become red from using too many anti aging products with active ingredients, fragrance, and stripping cleansers.  I now have simplified my rountine and stick to tretinion cream and spf sunscreen as my new antiaging routine.  I use La Roche Posay Toleraine hydrating cleanser, Dr. Denese Hydroshield Serum, and First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream.  I wait for a little while for the moisturizer to soak in and then apply a pea size amount of the tretinoin .025% cream. Then go to bed.  I do the tretinoin cream Saturday and Wed,  2x per week.  I think that the creamy cleanser and the ultra repair cream have really helped to repair my skin barrier.  My face looks so much better.  I take my makeup off with the Toleriane Cleanser on dry skin.  Use a soft wet washcloth to remove the makeup/sunscreen. Then cleanse again.  The Toleriane hydrating cleanser is amazing!! Cheers to Beautiful skin!!