Honored Contributor

For those that like to play with their lipstick

I confess, I'm a closet lipstick player.  I was never allowed to do this with my mother's lipstick when I was a child, so I've made up for it in spades. Maybelline has a new line called The Bolds, colors range from pure white to deepest black, with nudes, blues, and purples inbetween.  I wouldn't be caught dead in public with black or blue lipstick, but wearing it around the house is fun.  I've always done this with dark Kat Von D type colors, but Maybelline's new line takes my experimenting to a new level.  Anyone else care to confess doing this, or am I postively nuts?

Respected Contributor

Re: For those that like to play with their lipstick

[ Edited ]

Well, I wouldn't say you're "nuts," but I confess that's one obsession that I've never shared!  I do always wear lipstick and lip liner because without them I literally have no visible lips.  But, I'm scary enough in the morning without makeup........I don't need to frighten myself when I pass a mirror having black lips!  Cat LOL

Spoiler
Spoiler

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

I agree with @2blonde word for word in her first sentence. (I was trying to think how to respond when I read hers, in fact, and thought - bingo - I want to say that!) I will say that I buy lipstick more than any other MU item. It's hard for me to pass by a display without looking...and usually buying. I don't know if this counts as playing, but I do scrape out all the remnants and put leftover lipstick in an old contanct lens case. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass  I must say, I've never done this, but it's harmless and FUN!  Why not?  Just want to say, I've love to ring your doorbell when you're wearing one... or more... of those colors!

Respected Contributor

I don't buy colors that I wouldn't wear in public unless of course it looks way different on my than what I thought it was going to look like.

I however try out new looks and perfume samples right before showering.  That way it all washes off and I can decide if I like the new look or perfume ahead of just walking out the door looking/smelling hideous.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

@mima wrote:

I don't buy colors that I wouldn't wear in public unless of course it looks way different on my than what I thought it was going to look like.

I however try out new looks and perfume samples right before showering.  That way it all washes off and I can decide if I like the new look or perfume ahead of just walking out the door looking/smelling hideous.  LOL

Hi @mimaSmiley Happy

I love your idea about trying a new look or a new perfume before taking a shower, so that you can wash it off if it doesn't work out for you. I never would have thought of doing that. 

Respected Contributor

While I don't choose colors that I wouldn't wear out of the house, I absolutely understand playing with lip color. I will do "half-and-half" lips to test two different colors for staying power, moisturization, etc.  I've also been known to take a selfie to see what a lip color looks like on me. Only selfies I will ever do and they get immediately deleted! 

Esteemed Contributor

I like buying lipsticks but I tend to buy the same colors over and over again. I can see having a variety of lipsticks though. Do you mix shades to find the perfect color?

Respected Contributor

@TY

I'm the same way. I've gotten used to wearing a "my lips but better" shade that doesn't really stand out, so whenever I try another shade, all I see is lips and it just looks garish if only just to me. Hence, I buy the same color all the time. If I do buy a color that looks slightly off, I will mix it with another to get a more pleasing shade on me.

Trusted Contributor

Fun topic! I love MAC Viva Glam colors since they're so wearable and moisturizing. They don't last long,but I like donating to the cause. I also wear Makeup Forever since they last on me and the colors are nice.