Honored Contributor

I recently read this article about women over 50 (I did not name the title).  It suggests women over 50 should condition their eyelashes with oil.  Baby oil or I would suggest Argan or Marula.  Two ways to apply because you don't want oil in your eyes.  Take a drop on your cotton round and then swipe over lashes or what I do is take a small dot on the tip of my finger and rub in slightly and swipe the lashes.  The article explained how as we age our lashes become sparse and it is good to condition.  You can also use the baby oil to remove eye makeup.  I would also use the oil in the eyebrows since they tend to thin out too.  If you have any other tricks, please share.

Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I don't know if I would do that, you are putting oil on the lashes and what do all of us do, blink.  Blinking will spread the residue to your lower lashes and into the eye.

Your lashes grow from folicles, wouldn't it be beneficial to somehow keep your eye healthy like making sure all your makeup is fully removed, tossing old makeup, buy non irritating products, and keeping your face clean?

Just thinking.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling  I do it all the time at bedtime and no problems.  You are always going to get a little of whatever in your eye.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I don't nor would I ever put oil on my eyes or lashes.

Honored Contributor

Re: For Women 50 & Over

[ Edited ]

I don't think it's a good idea to use baby oil or other oils for that matter to remove eye makeup or put on lashes.  It can cause eye irritation and block tear ducts.  How do I know this - well that is what happened to me and my eye doctor said he treats so many women for this. There are products specifically formulated to this.   

Honored Contributor

Ugg I'm surely not going to put baby oil near my eyes! What a horrible feeling it is when oil seeps into you eyes. Nope, I'm 64 and my eyelashes are doing just fine. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Ever since I started using mascara around 16 years old now 63 I have used some form of oil to remove my eye make up...it may have kept my lashes conditioned but did not help with any additional growth.....

Valued Contributor

i put several colds pressed oils on my lashes my eye doctor told me good for my eye because I have over the top dry eye. I make it in a little bottle put several different oils in a bottle and use a mascara comb to put it on. works great. 

Frequent Contributor

For me, I did notice thinning of eyelashes with age.  I alternate caster oil (promotes eyelash growth) with careprost and this has been a wonderful routine for me.  Both products are applied right before bed.  I use a cotton swab to apply.  I do not rub my eyelashes.  My lashes are now longer, fuller, and the It Superhero Mascara makes my lashes the best they can be!  

IMG_20180807_080346.jpgeyelashes.jpg

Honored Contributor

This will do nothing but coat your lashes. Oil will not promote growth or anything else.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland