Respected Contributor

For Those Ladies Choosing To Go Gray...

...are you happy with your decision?

I am going back and forth on the issue.  I have not colored my hair in several months so there is quite a bit of gray regrowth.

I have a hair appointment this week and must decide if I should keep up the color or have my stylist match the gray roots and let it go.  I am torn.

For those that went gray, were you happy with your decision or did you regret it and go back to coloring?

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Re: For Those Ladies Choosing To Go Gray...

My hair has been gray for 25+ years and is now solid silver.  I'd never go back as I love it.  I don't do anything to it; short cut, regular shampoo, air dry with never any yellowing heat, wash & wear then go.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mersha :I have no regrets. I hated sitting at the salon for 3 hours for hair color. Tried coloring my hair at home and hated the mess.The process was about a year. One plus: I don't have to ask for the senior discount.😀

@Mersha wrote:

...are you happy with your decision?

I am going back and forth on the issue.  I have not colored my hair in several months so there is quite a bit of gray regrowth.

I have a hair appointment this week and must decide if I should keep up the color or have my stylist match the gray roots and let it go.  I am torn.

For those that went gray, were you happy with your decision or did you regret it and go back to coloring?

Respected Contributor

@Mersha try it. You can always color it later if you are not happy with having gray hair. 

Respected Contributor

I decided to go grey because my hair is thinning and I think the dye was taking a toll on it.

I have embraced the look...so I think. Sometimes I think I look older than my years. Sometimes I feel fine with it. I guess it's just like having bad hair days and good hair days. 😊 

I believe, even with the thinning and loss, it looks better than it did, when I had been coloring it. I'm sure I would have lost more if I would have continued coloring.

So there's that to consider.

I won't go back to coloring it and I don't regret it.

Good Luck with your decision.

Respected Contributor

@Mersha Do whatever makes YOU happy.  I've only had my hair colored once, just highlights.   Now that I'm in my 60's my hair is mostly my natural color of light brown in the front and more grey in the back.  I'm content with my appearance and don't want to the spend the time or money to change it, let alone put chemicals on my scalp.  But to each his own.  

Honored Contributor

I never thought I would go natural--I have naturally dark hair and very fair skin, but went a warm highlighted blonde with short layered hair long ago.  After covid it is natural.

To my shock, it is a beautiful color.  It is white but not white white, and has lots of silver highlights, and is more a platinum blond than anything.  

People comment on it and then can't decided what "color" it is--and I can't either.  But it is really pretty and I am very happy with it.  All the ladies on my mom's side had really yellowish gray hair.

I got this from my dad's side!  Lucky me!  So try it, you never know until you try!  

Respected Contributor

I'm 75 and, so far, I REFUSE to go gray.  I'm blonde/fair and recently I've been using AGE Beautiful in 10N.  It keeps my hair in VERY good condition, which my previous color (L'Oreal Preference light blonde) did NOT.  I do my own color and I don't know what I'll do when it gets to be too much for me.  But so far I'm being stubborn and REALLY want to keep my blonde hair!  Woman Wink

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Valued Contributor

My hairdresser used to put in what she called "low lights" to color part of the gray.  I was one of the older employees where I worked but didn't want to look it.  After retiring I left it go natural and love it.  Low lights might be a way for you to transition to gray.

Regular Contributor

I started to go grey, but it was like white cotton balls on the top of my head, and salt and pepper everywhere else.  I let it go for at least 2 months.  I felt older,,,,and I'm in my mid 70s,,,and look younger than I actually am.  So, I went back to having my hair done in my previous color, blonde with highlights.  The only problem is that I have to have my roots done every 2 weeks, but it looks great.  My Mother was still having her hair done blonde until she passed at 91.  I say try it, you can always go back to coloring it!