Honored Contributor

For Shanus, what do you think of MAC's warm-cool system?

To me pink is cool and yellow is warm, yet twice I watched their shows and they say just the opposite.  I threw up my hands and ignore their shows.  Since I know from the old days when I actually had a department store to shop at, that they have a really nice line, and I might want to try them again.  I'm worried about getting the totally wrong shade of foundation.

Honored Contributor

Re: For Shanus, what do you think of MAC's warm-cool system?

FWD:   @Shanus 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@depglass Not shanus, but pink can be cool/blue toned or yellow/warm either.  Colors can go toward one side or the other depending on the mix.  

Even black can be grayed to a warmer or cooler color.

Honored Contributor

My notification system is usually goofed up so I've gotten into the habit of not using it.  Sorry to all the people that I should have taken more patience to notify.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

To me pink is cool and yellow is warm, yet twice I watched their shows and they say just the opposite.  I threw up my hands and ignore their shows.  Since I know from the old days when I actually had a department store to shop at, that they have a really nice line, and I might want to try them again.  I'm worried about getting the totally wrong shade of foundation.

@depglass   I completely agree. I gave up on MAC foundations because their color system is so confusing. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you, Shanus.  Coming from a pro I'm not feeling so bad about ignoring this line.  I do like their lipstick, though.

Honored Contributor

Their system is the opposite of the rest of the industry's. This just leads to customer confusion and probably to some lost sales. When Lauder bought MAC the original agreement was to give the original owner-makeup designers continued creative control. This has to be a headache for Estée Lauder as well. I listened to a great podcast called Buisiness Wars, Lauder versus Lancome, which discussed the evolution of the Lauder Company and its brands. 

Honored Contributor

This explains why I couldn't figure out what shade I was in a MAC foundation a few months ago.  Nothing made sense.  Lost sale, I gave up.

Respected Contributor

@depglass It's very simple. If you can just forget about warm & cool. NC are yellow toned foundations, concealer & powders.

NW are pink/peach toned foundations, concealers & powders.

Then the numbers indicate the level of tone. 

NW10 is a very pale pink based shade.

NC10 is a very pale yellow based shade.

And foundations go up to a shade of 60. So they go from almost white to very deep shades & have tones for everyone (almost) in between.

Straight C shades are stronger toned yellow shades.

I love Mac foundations, concealers, color products, tweezers, mascaras, fragrance...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

This explains why I couldn't figure out what shade I was in a MAC foundation a few months ago.  Nothing made sense.  Lost sale, I gave up.

@monicakm   In most other makeup lines that bother to indicate cool and warm, C stand for cool and W for warm...Duh!?! I can't find a foundation when it's labled the opposite and moved on to other lines.