Trusted Contributor

@Shanus @NickNack  My salon is not big and the closest chair to where I sit is about 8-10 ft. Anyway, salon sent out a very detailed email about the extensive precautions they are taking. All staff and clients will be required to wear masks when entering. No waiting inside if arriving early.

My appt is the 27th. She'll give me a towel to put over my face when she shampoos me. She'll have her mask on the entire time. I may just hold my mask over my mouth and nose while she cuts. I never have her blow my hair dry so that won't be an issue.

Everything about the salon has always been spotless.

Not worried.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@spiderw  The salons are given restrictions from the governor of their state.

@Katcat1, that in no way makes it a certainty that all salons will comply. So it is definitely a wise choice to find out exactly what precautions they are taking BEFORE going in.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

KatCat1

As long as the salons follow the restrictions or guidelines that is a step in the right direction.  I'm sure most will do that.  However, some governors aren't giving any direction so I would be very careful in that respect.

Believe me I need a haircut and can't wait for the salon I go to be open !  

Esteemed Contributor

Where I live the Gov. had extended his stay at home order until 5/18.  And, everyone's wondering who can open 'cause he's now gonna do it in phases!!!  He still hasn't told anyone who can open on his 1st phase!Woman Frustrated

Right before the lockdown, I had a really short haircut with a new hairdresser.  My previous hairdresser had burnt my hair - apparently didn't remember how to give a perm (was getting a spiral).  This new girl did a re markable  job considering what she she to deal with; also squeezing me in and giving me a great color!  It's at a supercuts type place.  

My problem is I can't remember her name!  They do walk-ins there, but I want her, not  anyone else since I've been very pleased!   I'm sure they're no longer taking walk-ins so don't know how to get the right hairdresser. 

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme  First of all call and see if the receptionist can give you a name by giving her a description.  If that does not work, walk in and point her out to reception and apologize for forgetting her name.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@eddyandme  First of all call and see if the receptionist can give you a name by giving her a description.  If that does not work, walk in and point her out to reception and apologize for forgetting her name.

Thanx, @Katcat1 .  When I went there it was a Tuesday afternoon with only two hairdressers there and no receptionist.  But, as you suggested, I'll see if they have someone at the front desk and will then point her out.  I'm also wondering if they make customer cards if you've had a color - another way to find out her name, I hope!

It sounds weird, but they're a busy place.  Guess I hit it on an off day/time.

Respected Contributor

I wish ours were opening soon....I have no idea when that would be...if I guess I'd say July.  Maybe.  Unless something in court here locally happens to get things moving that is.

I can use a cheap box dye from the drugstore....but cutting my hair is impossible and by July I can't imagine how different I will look LOL!  Just gonna pull it back in a pony tail until then.

I also hope they are able to blow out my hair....I like the salon experience but perhaps that won't be possible.  Oh well...I can make do.

Esteemed Contributor

I read an online article about next week's reopening of salons in South Carolina, and a stylist said she thinks salon appointments will be like toilet paper was there for a while--very difficult to find.  It seems some are expecting a rush while others are saying they don't think they'll be near as busy as before.  It will be interesting to see how this goes and how much (if any) the costs have increased.

The article mentioned that a stylist near Hilton Head said she's expecting to work 11-hour days & 6 days each week.  She said there will be extra time built into the schedule for cleaning between clients, so she won't see as many clients like she would have during that time frame.  They won't have magazines or serve drinks, and some are hanging plastic shower curtain dividers between chairs with clients seated at least 6 feet apart.  I heard that locally some salons will be taking customers' temperatures upon arrival, and customers will be told to wash hands after entering.  Stylists will wear masks and some are saying customers must wear masks.  Seems like it would be hard to cut or shampoo someone's hair if that person's wearing a mask.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme  There is nothing wrong with Supercuts if you get the right stylist but then that is everywhere.  Good luck.  I am hope you get her name.  Ask her to write down your hair color formula if that's okay.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

As expected ,I was told there would be a $5.00 increase to cover masks and extra expenses. Most businesses I am guessing ,are following CDC guidelines.  My salon is a husband and wife in their basement with outside access. I usually am the only one there as like early appts. This one will be at 5:30 pm and I dont care. He said one at a time and would wave at me when to enter. I  always wash my own hair as saves him time and he appreciates it. I color my own hair as it grows so fast and do it every tbree weeks.  He said after this back to a regular schedule.

Did your salons also raise prices? I was not surprised.