Respected Contributor

First Mall closed in Southern California.......😱

One of Southern California‘s more exclusive malls... South Coast Plaza has closed. So it looks like other malls will be following. 😱
Esteemed Contributor

Re: First Mall closed in Southern California.......😱

Exclusive is right. That's a high dollar Real Estate area. 

Honored Contributor

Our mall in Honolulu, Ala Moana Center, has adjusted hours...M-S 12-7pm; Sunday 12-6pm.  I haven't heard from watching our local news if tourism is slowing down, but I'm sure if it hasn't yet, it will.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Wow!  Spent many hours there when I lived in S. CA.  That and Fashion Island were my hangouts.  I miss both, too.  

Surprised South Coast Plaza caved so fast, but, of course, they are setting a good example.  

Valued Contributor

LA Times said it closed because an employee has the Coronavirus.

Esteemed Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

LA Times said it closed because an employee has the Coronavirus.

irks me that they aren't saying which store.  It would be nice to know in case you'd been in there and helped by him/her.  I read that they said it wasn't because of that that they closed the whole mall. I'd bet that helped, though. 

Respected Contributor

The 2 malls nearby have closed as well (new england) The anchor store can remain open, if they choose to. they have multiple doors.

kids were stlll going and hanging out because the schools closed. one of the malls has a real issue with gang activity. Nordstrom pulled out a few years ago because their demographic of shoppers stopped going to the store.

Honored Contributor

Sadly, we have one mall, but all great stores. I've been receiving emails with updates on changes in hours they'll be open. I think eventually, with people in the news saying to stay home and customers listening, it was costing more to pay sales associates to remain open when no one was out. 

Unfortunately, our mall was not very crowded before this virus hit. I fear this was just the nail in the coffin for many retail businesses that were barely holding on . 

Valued Contributor

The mall I frequent is outdoors. The indoor mall is closer but I do not go there that often. The indoor mall does have Nordstrom and Macy. But I guess having worked retail a good portion of my life I do not care for indoor malls. Even in the middle of winter I prefer the outdoor mall. (Just me).

But to get back to the point the stores at the mall are deciding if they are closing. I have recieved emails from a few that state they will be closed thru March 31. 

Honored Contributor

Malls are cess pools....close them all.