Honored Contributor

@Shanus

I am thinking I 'need' a finishing powder..loose.

You know when you see a woman and her make up looks perfect/flawless...I have always wondered if she uses a finishing powder on top of her foundation and blush that gives her that look.  

I use Estee Lauder foundation, which I like and gives decent coverage but I always think I need something to just give a little more of an upscale look.  I'd appreciate any suggestion.

thanks.

Honored Contributor

Not Shanus, but I love Bobbie Brown's powder.  Get a good brush and don't forget to tap!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Shanus

I am thinking I 'need' a finishing powder..loose.

You know when you see a woman and her make up looks perfect/flawless...I have always wondered if she uses a finishing powder on top of her foundation and blush that gives her that look.  

I use Estee Lauder foundation, which I like and gives decent coverage but I always think I need something to just give a little more of an upscale look.  I'd appreciate any suggestion.

thanks.

@Mom2Dogs 

I don't use a liquid foundation, but if it did I would have to use a powder to set it.  Otherwise, the liquid would smear if you hugged someone or perspired.   I couldn't tolerate that wet feeling of un-set liquid foundation.   Maybe other women don't mind it?   I have no idea.

It's possible that the person you admired was wearing a Bare Minerals type foundation.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs know you asked for recommendations from Shanus so hope you don't mind me chiming in with the setting powders that I like.  For drugstore my favorite is Wet n Wild photofocus translucent powder.  This is a great product and you get so much in the container.  The other is RCMA the Original No-Color Powder.  Heard about this from two youtube presenters - Allie Glines and Wayne Goss.  Bought on Amazon.  These are really good powders and very affordable.

Higher end would be It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores.  Also excellent product just more expensive than the other two.

I think its also important to get a good powder brush and as one other poster said - don't forget to tap off the excess! 

Honored Contributor

@JudyL  @Tinkrbl44   @ECBG ...makes no difference to me who replies.  Thank so much for the recommendations, I'll shop around to see what suits my skin best, thank you!

Contributor

I use the translucent shade of Coty Airspun Loose Powder.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I will chime in, too. I have normal/oily skin. I like to use a powder. Some foundations are more dry & don't need a powder. Some are meant to be more dewey & you will loose that if you powder.

So it depends on what your skin type is & what look you want.

My favorite loose powder is Fenty Pro Filt'r Instant Retouch Loose Powder. You can get a "small" size (which is quite a bit) for $18. Today they have a special for $25. You get a small primer, foundation & powder.

My most favorite pressed powder is Fenty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Powder Foundation. On sale today (9/25) for $27. It is beautiful on it's own (with the sponge) for a lightweight foundation. It looks just as beautiful, with a brush, over my Mac Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. Just makes me look polished & "finished", but not dry, cakey or over done.

Honored Contributor

@Tink814 wrote:

I use the translucent shade of Coty Airspun Loose Powder.

@Tink814 

LOL .... I remember that .... and at one time Corn Silk was the very best translucent loose powder out there.  Some company bought it and ended it to reduce their competition. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   I saw a makeup artist use a radiant foundation and then use pressed powder to get rid of the shine.  And, this guy was an older gentlemen.  I never understood radiant foundation.  You certainly do not want to shine ear to ear.  You need to decide if you need a loose or pressed powder.  I used at time Laura Mercier powders.  They were excellent.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I have three powders to choose from.  I've  used a loose Laura Mercier for a couple of years but more recently have been using Charlotte Tilbury and Dior.  I can't make my mind up between CT and Dior but I like both of them more than Mercier.  I use a light hand and a powder brush.  Powder does give a finished polished look