Honored Contributor

Re: Finished with HAIR SALONS, I'm going to a Barber

A good friend of mine has gone to a barber for her cuts as long as I have known her.  Her hair always looks fabulous.

I am very lucky that I finally, after I cannot tell you how many years, found a stylist.  The stylist who was doing my hair became pregnant and not long before she was going on maternity leave, moved to a different salon. She hooked me up with someone to do my hair while she was out on leave.  The stand-in stylist did my hair exactly as I wanted it from base color to highlights to cut.  I never went back to my original stylist.  They used to work totally different days so it was never an issue but the last time I went, my old stylist had changed her days so she was there and saw me.  Oh well.

And another upside is the new stylist charges me about $70.00 less than the other one was.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   I am curious -- can you schedule appts. at Great Clips so you get the same person?  Are there different rates such as cut only, cut and blow dry, etc.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 -- It may depend on the location or the city.   I went to our local Great Clips a few times and always requested the same stylist.  You can go to their website to 'get in line' and request a certain stylist.  When you check in at the shop, you're at the front of the line and can request any stylist you want.   We could clip coupons from the newspaper or online to get a big discount.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@gidgetgh   I am curious -- can you schedule appts. at Great Clips so you get the same person?  Are there different rates such as cut only, cut and blow dry, etc.

@Katcat1 - Great clips is pretty much walk in only, but you can sign in online through their app just before you leave your house and it puts you in the queue.  Then, when you get there, you already have your place in line.

The hairdresser I usually see is off on Friday's, so I know which day not to go.  And I get there about 10 minutes before they open so that I'm first.  With Covid, once they reopened, I wanted to be quickly in and out.  And you have the option when you get there to say you'll wait for a certain hairdresser.

I get a cut only, but I'm sure they have pricing for other services. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Our Great Clips charges extra if you request a certain stylist.

Regular Contributor

These days, barbers are a great alternative to the traditional "women's" hairstylist and I'm going that route also.  I find there is more precision at the barber and the last stylist I had (which I went back to 4 times thinking maybe it was me that was off) was very unprofessional.  She was in her own salon suite but people kept stopping at the door to chat with her and she would chat away while cutting.  When I got home my sides were uneven and I had to cut one side myself.  For this I paid $60 (took her exactly 10 minutes to cut it) plus I gave her a $20 tip.  No more.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even though chain salons (e.g., haircuttery) may be "uncertain" if not knowing which stylist to go to, if getting the name of a stylist that is rather consistent at the more affordable salons, that may be a good option to those pricey, upscale salons.  Consumer sites like yelp may have reviews by former customers (and hopefully they're genuine and legit).