Respected Contributor

Re: Finished with HAIR SALONS, I'm going to a Barber

I forgot to say in my reply above... The hairdresser I went to for 35 years started out as a barber!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?

LOL!  Love this but I thought I could be the only person that got it wrong 100% of the time.  I've even tried to trick myself and go with the option I wasn't going to choose (does that make sense?).  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would expect a barber to be quick and no frills, not wanting to see a picture of a desired haircut🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

the one and only time i used a barbar she made a mess out of my hair. i looked like a man when i walked out. she cut it way to short and sides and back were zipped cut SHORT. never went back, i have tried to look for lady beauty spot that isn't to expensive the cheapest i have found is $50 for my cut plus tip.meghan does a great job so will just have to pay the 50 bucks and hope they will keep my price low.

Respected Contributor

There are perks by living in a small town.  Haircut, color and style $54.00.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

Everything is getting more expensive.  I have had the same stylist for many years and I do adore her but I have the same issues with my short curly hair.  Sometimes she does not do the sides evenly and it really irks me as I pay a good amount for a root touch up and a trim so I expect it to be done correctly.   I know she would fix it if I complained but I just have DH fix it for me.  Sometimes I just want to have him cut if for me! LOL!   I think what @Shanus mentioned with the private room is an awesome idea.   I would pay extra for that because I feel the needless chit chat going on around us breaks the stylists concentration.  I also find it uncomfortable at times to be out in the open, especially when having a pedicure or something.   

@LindaSal   This fairly new "loft idea" is nirvana! If you check in you city, there be one. They're popping up everywhere. Stylists no longer have to give a percentage to the owners, only have access to the products the salon chooses to carry and the quiet is blissfull. 

No, they do not have to share with the owners, but they do have to pay rent for their station and the products they use on their clients.

I own this type of salon.  The stylists have to pay a monthly rent and if they use any products supplied by the salon, they have to pay for those too along with their own liability insurance.

If you have something go wrong related to the service and the stylist does not have liability insurance, you are up the creek without a paddle.

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

If you go to a barber, expect a barber cut. They don't have hair stylist licenses, they have barber licenses...... very different. Hairstylists have many more hours than barbers do. I wouldn't expect the resort to be the same.

Some states require the same number of hours for  barbers and hairdressers. In my state it is 1250 hours.

Respected Contributor

I had such a hard time finding someone to give me a decent haircut since I moved here 15 years ago.  My hair used to be very curly when I was younger, but now has settled into wavy with a lot of body & some curls.  I need someone that knows how to cut it into the natural wave, so it can do what it wants & not try to use products & flat-iron it into submission. 

It seems like if I found someone that did a good job, they moved out of state or retired.  I tried some pretty expensive salons around town & have spent well over $150 for a cut & finally gave up.  I figured if I'm going to get a bad haircut, I'd rather pay $20+ a tip for it. 

I've been using the haircutting place at my local Walmart for several years now & they don't do any worse job than the spendy places on my hair

Super Contributor

So difficult to find a new salon. My hairdresser retired after 25+ years and I tried 2 different places before I went to my husband's, who owns the local hair salon but is a barber. That was 8 years ago and I've never had a bad cut. She was even willing to do the color, even though that's not a service she typically does. I always get compliments on my cut.
Respected Contributor

I guess I'm lucky in that I keep my hair very short and it's curly, so I go to Great Clips. They only do haircuts, and I pay $16. Haircuts used to be $12 but they keep increasing their prices, but $16 is still better than $60. And they use a clipper on my because of my hair texture. I also color my own hair so that also keeps costs down. The last time I went to a salon, I paid $35 for just a haircut, which is actually a steal. And the salon is right down the street from my apartment, so it was convienient. They had opened during the height of Covid when they were allowed 50% capacity, and Great Clips was still closed. I actually cut my own hair last March, and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't good either. Woman LOL