Esteemed Contributor

Re: Finished with HAIR SALONS, I'm going to a Barber

@Katcat1 -- It couldn't hurt to try, at least once!   I went to a lady barber for several years... in a barber shop for both men and women.  Excellent, consistent haircuts.  She eventually left to open her own fancy salon and her prices went thru the roof!  Plus her haircuts went downhill.  She was still a "barber," but because she was in a frilly-decorated shop in a swanky neighborhood, she raised her prices more than I wanted to pay. 

For me, I only want a haircut.  A good haircut.  No blow-dry, no shampoo, no color, etc.  A barber works for me.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I have been thinking of doing this ,been cutting my hair myself for months now ,but really need a professional cut.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I see the same girl and she recently raised her prices after what seems like forever by $10. I can't complain. She said her prices for products are going up so it's not like she is pocketing the cash. For 2 cuts (mine and his), color, style and blow dry for me she charges $145. I don't feel she is to much for what she does and how my hair is.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My hair is difficult to cut because it can be worn curly when longer or when shorter (my regular pixie style) goes straight, so some length needs to be considered since curly hair tends to "draw up" about an inch when dry. A regular stylist that you go to all the time knows this.

I did have a great stylist for years, but after Covid, the salon increased the price of a cut from $65-$70 to $70-$75 depending on the stylist's status in the salon. Add a tip of 20% (my usual amount) and it's too expensive. With my hair now short again, it requires a cut every 4-6 weeks. Thank God, I don't need to add the cost of color....another $80!

I tracked down the male stylist I loved that left the salon where I went about 5 years ago. He has his own "room" in one of those LOFT situations. That's become a huge thing here. Each stylist has his/her own "salon" in a glassed in room....privacy, quiet, no waiting and I'm the only one in there w/ my stylist for my appointment made on line. No double booking, chatter from other booths, sitting in a waiting room while stylist runs late, no dealing w/ receptionist, etc. He charges $65 and includes the blow dry which has become an extra charge in many salons. What's up with that? He also has a espresso/cappuccino machine, frig. w/ drinks, wine, and a shelf of snacks. 

I don't think most barbers would know how to style a woman's hair and the one time I had to pick up DH at his barber (his car in shop), there were only men in there...talking about drinking, cars and fishing and they had lousey magazines. LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pay $14.99 at Great Clips.  I try to get the same person each time.   My hair is very short and she does a great job.  As for color, I color my own. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

this is one of the reasons that i have let my hair grow long again.   it's just long enough to get into a pony tail, which in my opinion is necessary here in florida unless you have really short hair.   anyway, i gave up coloring my hair years ago, so i don't have that expense either.  i get a trim every six months or so, and if i feel like shorter bouncier hair, i slip on a wig.  seriously.  

Esteemed Contributor

Everything is getting more expensive.  I have had the same stylist for many years and I do adore her but I have the same issues with my short curly hair.  Sometimes she does not do the sides evenly and it really irks me as I pay a good amount for a root touch up and a trim so I expect it to be done correctly.   I know she would fix it if I complained but I just have DH fix it for me.  Sometimes I just want to have him cut if for me! LOL!   I think what @Shanus mentioned with the private room is an awesome idea.   I would pay extra for that because I feel the needless chit chat going on around us breaks the stylists concentration.  I also find it uncomfortable at times to be out in the open, especially when having a pedicure or something.   

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Everything is getting more expensive.  I have had the same stylist for many years and I do adore her but I have the same issues with my short curly hair.  Sometimes she does not do the sides evenly and it really irks me as I pay a good amount for a root touch up and a trim so I expect it to be done correctly.   I know she would fix it if I complained but I just have DH fix it for me.  Sometimes I just want to have him cut if for me! LOL!   I think what @Shanus mentioned with the private room is an awesome idea.   I would pay extra for that because I feel the needless chit chat going on around us breaks the stylists concentration.  I also find it uncomfortable at times to be out in the open, especially when having a pedicure or something.   

@LindaSal   This fairly new "loft idea" is nirvana! If you check in you city, there be one. They're popping up everywhere. Stylists no longer have to give a percentage to the owners, only have access to the products the salon chooses to carry and the quiet is blissfull. 

Respected Contributor

Years ago, when I had very long hair, I used to go to a local barber because I only wanted a trim, not styled or shampooed. Reputable hair stylists really work hard. Mine lasts around an hour. I would hate to pay only $25 for all she does considering the salon owner gets at least half of that. They're on their feet all day trying to figure out your hair, what you want, what color would go best with your skin tone, how to make their clients happy, and staying on top of all the new cutting techniques. I wouldn't want to pay her $12 for that hour.

Esteemed Contributor

If you go to a barber, expect a barber cut. They don't have hair stylist licenses, they have barber licenses...... very different. Hairstylists have many more hours than barbers do. I wouldn't expect the resort to be the same.