Honored Contributor

Finished with HAIR SALONS, I'm going to a Barber

I had my hair cut yesterday and when I was checking out I was told there was an increase in price starting next time, well there will not be a next time.  I get a kick out of salons that are charging $65 for a cut but the person cutting is worth about $25.  I decided I am going to a Barber for a cut.  There is a Barber close to me that actually has Beautician services. Also, I looked in the mirror when I got home and one side of my hair is shorter than the other (I have short hair).  Anyone else fed up with the prices for haircuts?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Finished with HAIR SALONS, I'm going to a Barber

@Katcat1 I've had the same hairdresser for almost 10 years. She is the BEST and worth every dime plus tip.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I had my hair cut yesterday and when I was checking out I was told there was an increase in price starting next time, well there will not be a next time.  I get a kick out of salons that are charging $65 for a cut but the person cutting is worth about $25.  I decided I am going to a Barber for a cut.  There is a Barber close to me that actually has Beautician services. Also, I looked in the mirror when I got home and one side of my hair is shorter than the other (I have short hair).  Anyone else fed up with the prices for haircuts?

My nephew is a barber and has his own shop.  I was thinking of the same thing but wondered if they would take the time to really style a woman's hair.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Prices go up everywhere. Including salons. You could call the salon, tell them the haid cut difference lenght and have it corrected for no fee.

Respected Contributor

I had the same hairdresser for 35 years!  We were about the same age and he retired about a year ago.  Every single haircut he gave me was PERFECT!  He always did exactly what I wanted.

I tried another hairdresser and she doesn't always do what I ask her to do.  It's been months since my last haircut because I'm afraid she won't do what I want her to do.

I feel your pain!  Woman Sad

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

I've been going to the same hairdresser for 32 years.He's fabulous.He charges me $40 for a haircut & gives me a free trim every 3 weeks. He's become a dear friend.I try to tip him but he's self employed & won't accept it. I always give him a generous Christmas gift.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ   $40 for a haircut is a steal so you are very fortunate.  When it's getting around $60, that is too much for me and then the tip.  I don't have a husband so no second income and I am retired so I have to cut corners somewhere.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@rms1954   My hair is short but longer layers on top and sides like a layered bob but short.  If you have longer hair if they don't have Beautician services it may be difficult but I would surely ask if they can handle your hair.  It won't hurt.  If I was working i would probably deal with the increases but now that I am retired it is a different story.  Enjoy your weekend.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids   You are fortunate so keep your stylist.  Years ago I had the same stylist for many years until I moved out of Chicago to the suburbs.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I'm not complaining.  My hairdresser charges $25.  She MOSTLY gives me a good cut but my cut is one that if it was "off" a little bit, you'd never know.  It's layered and choppy.  A few cuts ago the bottom layer on one side was a little longer than the other.  Mom made a couple of snips with the scissors and all was well.  I don't know what the front of this cut looks like, but I'm taking this picture with me to my next h/c.  I want this but just a smidge longer.  It's pretty close to this now but I love the bottom of this cut.

back of shag.jpg