Respected Contributor

Re: FingerNAIL Question - Vertical "Ridges"

Nothing too complicated here- it's an aging thing. Everyone will experience it at some point. My nails are more ridged now at age 69 than even five years ago. I started using a great nail cream a few weeks ago to moisturize and strengthen my nails. What a difference!  80516A3F-74C1-41BF-9CEF-A20A91502161.jpeg

Harmonize the World
Contributor

Oh seriously, you’re not going to tell us the name of the nail cream? LOL. Please and thank you.  I always had super strong nails but started having problems after using gel polish.  

Respected Contributor

@Lisamartha wrote:

Oh seriously, you’re not going to tell us the name of the nail cream? LOL. Please and thank you.  I always had super strong nails but started having problems after using gel polish.  

Haha sorry about that. It's called Hard as Hoof. I had googled to find the best nail strengthening product. Buy on Amazon. I also use the Sally Hansen Moisture Rehab and OPIs Nail Envy. But I think the cream is the thing that's made the big difference. I had dry brittle nails before. In October I got a gel manicure for a trip we were taking. On the flight back I peeled it off. Oh gosh my nails were horrible after that. I essentially peeled off the top layer. So I immediately went into rehab mode. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

AC4C31C0-9C57-41C8-BB35-E7BB456D0357.jpegOnly $7.99

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

Nothing too complicated here- it's an aging thing. Everyone will experience it at some point. My nails are more ridged now at age 69 than even five years ago. I started using a great nail cream a few weeks ago to moisturize and strengthen my nails. What a difference!  80516A3F-74C1-41BF-9CEF-A20A91502161.jpeg

@fairydogmother  .... your nails look GREAT!!!!

Respected Contributor

@January121 thanks 😊

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

@fairydogmother  Gorgeous nails! And hands!   What hand cream do you use?

Going to buy the nail products you use.

I also have one thumb (left) with ridges, I used to have multiple nails with ridges and oils/hand creams removed the other ones, but can't clear up the left tumb!

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

After having short nails for years, I decided to grow them out.

My  nails are now long and don't break, but what's up with the VERTICAL ridges?

I looked online and it says signs of "aging" or iron deficiency.

Really?

Anyone have experience with this .. and how to get rid of the ridges?

@RinaRina   I mentioned aging and sun damage, but forgot to say that if you wear nail polish, removing it with acetone will really take dry a toll on your nails. It's harsh and also dries them out. Try non-acetone removers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tampalady wrote:

I have had ridges for sometime.  My nails are hard but I can never get rid of ridges.   In fact, I just asked my doctor about the brownish color to my nails and he said I had no liver problems and the rest of my stats are good.  He had no reason why the brown color.  I have been placing my nails in Hydrogen Peroxide  to help whiten, it has helped some.  

@tampalady   Have you tried lemon juice instead of hydrogen peroxide...more natural?

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee   When drying my hands, if cuticles need pushing back, I use the corner of the towel while nails are  still damp.....and lotion is at every sink. Healthy cuticles=healthy nails. 

====================================================

"and lotion is at every sink."

Good idea!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."