Respected Contributor

Re: FingerNAIL Question - Vertical "Ridges"

i started using Nailtiques Formula 2 and it has made a huge difference in the vertical ridges.

Honored Contributor

I started noticing it years ago .... asked doctor at tme and she said it's just part of aging.

I wear sheer pink polish (w / clear base coat and top coat) and use a nail brush daily.   Avon hand cream over night.

They look perfectly fine as long as I maintain my routine.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Question:   ridges on all ten ?

Do you take any multi-vitamins ?

Do 'bumps' go full length of nail ?

Is it noticeable with polish ?

I've taken Vits all my adult life and have tough strong long nails.  I know  I inherited from my Father.....my Mother struggled for nice nails all her life.

I believe:  some diet change or something to stop the ridges - but the ones you have now just have to grow out and be gone.  New nails, ridge free,  should come in - in time.

========================================================

Question:   ridges on all ten ? - Yes

Do you take any multi-vitamins ? - No

Do 'bumps' go full length of nail ? - Yes.  All  Nails have VERTICAL Lines.

Is it noticeable with polish ? - Yes.  I removed the polish this morning b'cz I could see the lines thru the polish.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Dehydration and dry skin in general has a big effect on they way your nails look. Nails are born from special skin cells located deeper inside fingertips, beyond the cuticle where you don't see it. That part of the finger gets exposed to a lot of stuff and as you age it shows up on your nails.

=====================================================

It just occured to me - - dry skin.

My hands are very dry because I wash them so much.

PRE-covid, I was a compulsive hand washer.

After awhile I just stopped putting cream on them.

MAYBE my nails are dry ...

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I started noticing it years ago .... asked doctor at tme and she said it's just part of aging.

I wear sheer pink polish (w / clear base coat and top coat) and use a nail brush daily.   Avon hand cream over night.

They look perfectly fine as long as I maintain my routine.

===============================

Do you have long or short nails?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Putting your hands in and out of water frequently is another cause of ridges. Water sinks into the nail bed and surrounding skin causing it to expand then it dries out which is the problem.  The older you get, the skin on your hands becomes thinner which only adds to the problem of dry skin. Young skin holds more water naturally but with age that goes away. @RinaRina 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Buffing nails takes a layer off and shouldn't be done every week. I know my nails have taken a beating in 2020 from all the extra hand washing. I wear gloves doing dishes/house cleaning and soak my hands and nails in warmed olive oil a few times a week. 

***The ridges can come from age or sun damage, too.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Dehydration and dry skin in general has a big effect on they way your nails look. Nails are born from special skin cells located deeper inside fingertips, beyond the cuticle where you don't see it. That part of the finger gets exposed to a lot of stuff and as you age it shows up on your nails.

@SilleeMee  ITA.  If you're aggressive pushing back cuticles, etc., the nail bed can be damaged which does affect how the nail looks as it grows out. I don't use a metal cuticle pusher, even stopped using my wooden stick with all the extra hand washing. When drying my hands, if cuticles need pushing back, I use the corner of the towel while nails are  still damp.....and lotion is at every sink. Healthy cuticles=healthy nails. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have veritcal ridges, but only on my thumbs and more-so on my left thumb.  I used to occasionally buff it, but stopped doing that a long time ago.  Now, for some reason, it has either gotten better or it doesn't bother me as much.  I can still feel them, but they just don't seem to be as high.

Interetingly, my left big toe always seems to have flaky skin on it when my right one doesn't.  And I'm always having trouble with the skin on the sides of my middle fingers getting thick and hangnails, but just the middle fingers.  I just got a new cuticle cream that has AHA's in it that I'm hoping will help with that.

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have veritcal ridges, but only on my thumbs and more-so on my left thumb.  I used to occasionally buff it, but stopped doing that a long time ago.  Now, for some reason, it has either gotten better or it doesn't bother me as much.  I can still feel them, but they just don't seem to be as high.

Interetingly, my left big toe always seems to have flaky skin on it when my right one doesn't.  And I'm always having trouble with the skin on the sides of my middle fingers getting thick and hangnails, but just the middle fingers.  I just got a new cuticle cream that has AHA's in it that I'm hoping will help with that.

It's ironic that you only have it on your thumbs. Same here!