Respected Contributor

FingerNAIL Question - Vertical "Ridges"

After having short nails for years, I decided to grow them out.

My  nails are now long and don't break, but what's up with the VERTICAL ridges?

I looked online and it says signs of "aging" or iron deficiency.

Really?

Anyone have experience with this .. and how to get rid of the ridges?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: FingerNAIL Question - Vertical "Ridges"

Mine are really bad b/c of a medical condition. I just buff them away and keep my cuticles well groomed. 

Respected Contributor

I'll be interested in replies, too. I have doubts it's 'aging, or iron deficiency,' since I've had these vertical ridges since youth. Of course, if it's something new, it may indicate something else. I just know they've always bugged me.

Esteemed Contributor

Question:   ridges on all ten ?

Do you take any multi-vitamins ?

Do 'bumps' go full length of nail ?

Is it noticeable with polish ?

I've taken Vits all my adult life and have tough strong long nails.  I know  I inherited from my Father.....my Mother struggled for nice nails all her life.

I believe:  some diet change or something to stop the ridges - but the ones you have now just have to grow out and be gone.  New nails, ridge free,  should come in - in time.

Honored Contributor

I had ridges on one nail. I've been taking hair, skin and nail gummies with biotin for about 2 years now and my nails are strong and smooth. I have no idea if this is why, but it's a thought. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I have had this problem for quite awhile. I lightly buff them and it helps.

Valued Contributor

I have had ridges for sometime.  My nails are hard but I can never get rid of ridges.   In fact, I just asked my doctor about the brownish color to my nails and he said I had no liver problems and the rest of my stats are good.  He had no reason why the brown color.  I have been placing my nails in Hydrogen Peroxide  to help whiten, it has helped some.  

Esteemed Contributor

Could this be from hormone fluctuations?  

Honored Contributor

Dehydration and dry skin in general has a big effect on they way your nails look. Nails are born from special skin cells located deeper inside fingertips, beyond the cuticle where you don't see it. That part of the finger gets exposed to a lot of stuff and as you age it shows up on your nails.

Esteemed Contributor

My nails have always been strong and long.  No change there.  But for sure the older I get the more vertical ridges I have.