Frequent Contributor

I need your help ladies. I have very fine thin hair and am also retired so am on a limited budget. I need some shampoo and conditioner and went to the drugstore and was overwhelmed by all the different brands. I can't afford any longer to pay $28 for a small bottle of Aveda shampoo, so am asking what you ladies with similar hair would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

I have super baby-fine hair, no curl or body at all, and it's fairly thin. I wear it in a fairly short style.

First, I never use a brush when blow drying. I use my fingers. Using a brush smooths out my hair too much and it goes lifeless.

The newer shampoos make my hair way too soft, so soft I might as well not even style it as it's flat and lifeless. I want products that will make my hair feel a little coarse.

My favorites.....

Paul Mitchell #3 Clarifying shampoo is the best! Yes, I know it's clarifying and drying. I don't care. I get my hair cut every 4 weeks and never have any dryness issues. I do use the #2 clarifying shampoo 3-4 times a week and the #3 the other 3-4. It takes out all the gel and stuff.

I use KMS Hair Play Sea Salt spray on the roots and massage it around the roots.

Then I use Joico Super Firm gel on the crown because I have a nasty cowlick that it'll help hold in together.

So my advice..... find a SEA SALT spray and a clarifying or non-moisturizing shampoo. It doesn't have to be a fancy brand.

Honored Contributor
I also have fine, thin hair and won't spend beyond a certain amount for shampoo, etc. I don't do conditioner at all - no conditioner has ever done anything for my hair except make it finer and thinner. After having tried half a dozen thickening shampoos over the past 10-12 years at the higher-end of the drugstore price range, I honestly don't think any of them have "thickened" my hair after shampooing. Whatever they're supposed to do, I have never seen it. The only difference I see on my hair is when I use a thickening styling mousse, and even that I don't bother with often because I have very short hair. I most often use the green-bottled Garnier Fructis thickening shampoo but have used John Frieda and others. I like Biolage shampoos in general.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

I also have fine, straight hair. Many months ago, I got a sample of a new Suave shampoo and conditioner that stunned me because they are amazing! For me, the products add volume, bounce, and shine and they're gentle enough to use every day. Suave Moroccan Infusion is the brand. It originally came in one for "Color Care," and another for "Shine," but they've expanded to additional types, so you might want to read the labels to see which would meet your needs. Each bottle is approximately $3.50 at Target or drugstores. Talk about affordable!

Super Contributor

I have super fine, long hair, and while I use Wen now, I have a few recommendations from my shampoo days:

1.) Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Shampoo, Conditioner, and Tri-Wheat Leave-In - these babies gave me a TON of volume, it was insane! They are about $27 for a 33.8oz liter and $17 for a normal size, and they are frequently a B2G1 brand at Ulta.

2.) Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo - this is a clarifying shampoo, and while it can be stripping if used more than once a week, it really kicks the life back into your hair! Sometimes fine hair needs a good kickstart, because hard water and product buildup may contribute to buildup, and this product does just that.

Respected Contributor

1) Try dry shampoo. It coats your hair with a "mist" and plumps it up. Suave is the best one I've tried so far. Yellow/silver spray can.

2) Try Pantene shampoo+conditioner (in one bottle), for fuller hair. White bottle.

These two work for me, and are cheap!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I have super fine baby hair and i find that the very best shampoo for it is Pert with light conditioning. If I don't use any conditioner my hair gets all full of static but if I use too much it lays down flat and looks horrid SO Pert with light conditioning has worked out perfectly for me.And it is about $5 for a bottle that is about a quart size at the grocery store.

IMO and that of every stylist I have ever talked to about it - the secret to nice looking fine hair is the cut, the cut , the cut. Spend your $$$ on a really good stylist not on expensive shampoos.

Respected Contributor

I stock up when Beautybrands has the liter sale but as far as drugstore goes organix argan oil in the blue bottle and loreal everpure is really good and i also have babyfine hair

Respected Contributor

Also check put sallys beauty supply they have good quality shampoos. I esp. love the ION and Bioterra line at SBS. I also agree suave moroccan infusion is good but morrocan oil shampoos seem to work better when they are sulfate free. I like the suave macadamia oil leave-in. I keep it at work and I mist it on my ends once my hair is dry and keeps it moisturized. i have long hair so my ends tend to dry out

Respected Contributor

Hello, stampingpaperdoll. Smile

I haven't used this, but Nick Chavez has a product here on QVC called Volumizing Shampoo. It's 8 oz. and it's $18, so hopefully that isn't too much money. Sorry if the price is too high.

Hope you find something that works for you that's also a good price.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder