Honored Contributor

I have suggested this in the past but it is the best product I have ever used for thickening my hair.  It's by Aquage and it is the Thickening Spray Gel.  When you spray, it'svery fine like hair spray so don't think it is thick.  Once you spray your head you comb it through and blow dry.  You are in for a real treat.  Just recently I suggested this product and one lady was very pleased.  I did try other products but this was the best.  At the beginning you may have to work with it a little to find out how many sprays you need.  I have short hair and spray one on top, one on each side and one on back.  Sometimes I spray a little more but you don't want to over spray.  Aquage is sold at certains beauty salons (mine carries it) and you can find it on Ebay or Amazon and it should run in the low $20's.  It lasts a long time.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Re: Fine hair and want Thick?

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 Based on your recommendation, I ordered this and just received it last night. It was out of stock at Ulta and Amazon, but I found it on Ebay.  I think it was around $14 with free shipping.  I'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow when I shampoo.  I'm always a little nervous when trying a new thickening product so usually start with a small amount, hate when my hair gets sticky.  My hair is a little longer than shoulder length so I'll probably start with a few more sprays than you use.

Thanks again for the rec, I'll let you know what I think once I use it.  I'm hoping that I like it as much as you do as my current favorite is by Oribe and is very expensive.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 I also purchased this after another post where you recommend it.  The directions on the bottle state to spray a fine mist.  However, mine shoots out in a single stream.  I tried appyling it after rubbing into the palm of my hand.  It's very goopy and thick.  I didn't like it.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 , it's interesting that you posted about Aquage since I use one of their products for the oppostite effect.  The one I buy is their Straightening Ultragel.  

My hair is thick but has always been very soft.  With aging, I've noticed that my hair is becoming coarse in spots and I'm thinking it's not just because it's going grey but also associated with thyroid issues.  Anyway, I apply generous amounts as soon as I'm out of the shower and dry my hair right away.  It really helps my hair feel soft and smooth again. And it's much easier to style.  

If we have high humidity, the effect is lost. 

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@Katcat1 I also purchased this after another post where you recommend it.  The directions on the bottle state to spray a fine mist.  However, mine shoots out in a single stream.  I tried appyling it after rubbing into the palm of my hand.  It's very goopy and thick.  I didn't like it.

@rms1954, I know people describe things differently but I have used this in the past and I wouldn't describe it as spraying out like a hairspray.  However, I think you may have gotten a defective nozzle or something because mine didn't spray out in a single stream either unless my nozzle was clogged up.

I loved the smell of this product but for me personally I didn't think it did all that much.  But I'm not a real fan of gels or spray gels on my hair.     

Respected Contributor

I am really glad this product works for you, but did not do anything for my thin hair. I recently tried Beekman Fresh Air Shampoo and am really pleased at the amount of body and shine i have after using. I sometimes use Boldify hair thickening spray by brand Hollywood and that also helps.

Honored Contributor

When I referred to this product spraying out like hair spray, I meant that it sprays out lightly.  It is too bad this product did not work out for some of you. It's the best I have used and thickens my hair.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1  Thank you! Do you know which is the newer pkg? I am seeing a clear bottle where you can see the bubble gel and a container that is more solid color where you can't see the product, which is the newest type bottle so I am sure to order the freshest product. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl  The see thru is the older bottle but I don't like the new green one.  I saved my see thru bottle and poured the contents of the new green into the see thru.  If the product has never been opened if is still a good product.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 

I appreciate the recommendation - we fine haired women have to stick together lol.  I'm always on the look-out for anything that will give my hair some body and thickness, so I ordered this when you recommended it.  I've had it for about 3 days now (ain't Amazon great!) and have been experimenting with it.  Unfortunately, so far my results are not better than the Paul Mitchell Extra Body Sculpting Foam that I've used for years.  As my mom used to say, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett