Honored Contributor

Re: Finding Your Style After 60

She was a lovely lady and basically reinforced how as we get older, we need to listen to ourselves when it comes to style. No one can really tell a 70 year old women what she "has to do" to look stylish. Especially since everyone has an opinion and most vary. She brought up letting gray hair show? Never going to happen to this soon to be 70 year old.😉 I may never have botox, fillers or surgery but my blonde hair is staying blonde.😄

Respected Contributor

A woman in the doctors waiting room on Friday said to me You look absolutely beautiful in orange.  I was wearing an orange SG liquid knit tee. I've heard this before. My style at 71 is to wear vibrant colors near my face that contrast with the grey hair and that complement my skin tone. (Bright warm pink, yes, fuschia never 👎) Deep cobalt eye glasses frames. Comfortable clothing that flatters my ever- evolving body type. I'm clean and presentable. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

My style hasn't changed. It's shorts and tees in summer and long pants and tees in winter. We don't do fancy in Arizona. In Arizona you're considered dressed up in clean jeans and a nice top.  In summer most people wear just enough not to get arrested. 

Trusted Contributor

I very much agree with @On It. I will now only wear comfortable clothing, soft and not fitted. Also, even more so with shoes. Will not wear any shoes that aren't comfy, no matter how cute.

I had my colors done many years ago, I'm a clear Winter. In my younger days I could get away with a few Fall colors but now, nope. I only buy my color wheel, if an item isn't offered in my color I don't waste my time, I just don't buy it. 

Trusted Contributor

How old is she ?

Honored Contributor

If you made it to 60 and are still looking for your style....well good luck.  You may never find it.

I never had to look for mine...it just happened naturally as it has with most people.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother wrote:

A woman in the doctors waiting room on Friday said to me You look absolutely beautiful in orange.  I was wearing an orange SG liquid knit tee. I've heard this before. My style at 71 is to wear vibrant colors near my face that contrast with the grey hair and that complement my skin tone. (Bright warm pink, yes, fuschia never 👎) Deep cobalt eye glasses frames. Comfortable clothing that flatters my ever- evolving body type. I'm clean and presentable. 

@fairydogmother    I am often told how elegant I look... by total strangers too!  I think elegant suits me just fine.... I dress classic ... simple looks that stand the test of time regardless of fashion trends. ...  I usually wear my hair up in an "up" swept fashion... I was gifted with platninum white silver hair... It is about shoulder length, but, I rarely wear it down.  I tend to wear a lot of black, beige  and pale pink sometimes....,maybe too much... but it is easy colors to wear and they are wearble year round.  

Honored Contributor

I prefer comfortable classic clothing. You will never see me in leggings, not since age 60. I think they are great for younger women but look ridiculous on older ladies with their tunic tops. I also no longer wear high boots and I won't waste my money on trends. I wear less jewelry and always a classic watch. I think (hopefully) most women know what works best for them.

My summer preference is a maxi dress if going somewhere.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree 

I wear what makes me happy and what I think looks good on me.  

Exactly.  

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

She was a lovely lady and basically reinforced how as we get older, we need to listen to ourselves when it comes to style. No one can really tell a 70 year old women what she "has to do" to look stylish. Especially since everyone has an opinion and most vary. She brought up letting gray hair show? Never going to happen to this soon to be 70 year old.😉 I may never have botox, fillers or surgery but my blonde hair is staying blonde.😄

That is exactly why I don't listen to the people who preach to us about what we should do at a particular age.  As if we stop being individuals at some arbitrary age. 50, 60, 70.  We're all individuals and it's all good.