Honored Contributor

Re: Finally! I am tired of the term ANTI AGING and agree with ALLURE magazine

@Pook wrote:

I guess I don't see things the same way as some.  I am who I am but if I can make my skin smoother with less wrinkles and crepiness then why wouldn't I?!!  It makes me feel great.  I don't worry about wrinkles and not afraid of getting old!  I'm 65 and it doesn't bother me to tell anyone that.  I just want to stay as fit and healthy as I can to avoid the damage aging can do!    No one is deceptively getting me to buy into anything and most products work for many but not for everyone but to refer to them as "snake oil" just because you don't want to try things that can work !  I see those who so strongly are offended by products as having a pessimistic attitude and in effect are just giving up and trying real hard to justify it!  I have watched many of my friends (some younger than me) buy into the idea that you are aging so you should just accept it and do nothing to keep their body as fit as possible and enhancing their outward appearance to feel great daily.  Then they complain about how awful they always feel - well no wonder!!  It's all downhill from there.  I want to stay as fit and vibrant as possible and won't give in to the negatives of aging.  We all have choices and have to live with the consequences.  For me I am happy, healthy and fit and hope to stay that way and will never give up wanting to feel great every day!

@Pook  Yes, you're right. Many of my friends have just thrown in the towel and then complain that others their age look better. Anti-aging does not mean "anti care". Yes, stay fit, healthy, use a skincare system that works for you and don't get sucked in to every new wrinkle cream advertised. Ignore all the empty promises. Look/feel the best for your age. Throw the term "anti-aging" back at the skincare and advertisers until they change their approach.

Contributor

I am the youngest of my group of friends-I'm 60. My hair is salt & pepper, & I'm short & have a struggle with my weight. But you know what? We all have something we would like to improve! We enjoy our lives & we are grateful for each & every day we are blessed with! Thank goodness we can even have this discussion!

Respected Contributor

I was watching tv last night and an interview with Carly Simon came on and yikes....bad plastic strikes again. I hardly recognized her....DH was shocked. Only her beautiful voice is the same. The rest is kinda scary. All I could think was "You're so vain......".

Frequent Contributor

I have no problem with taking care of my skin.  If I didn't I would look terrible and would not ever want to look in the mirror.  However, show me a skincare/cosmetics vendor who is not 20 years old and who has not had all kinds of work done on them.  They almost all had work done.  A little honesty wouldn't hurt.  Just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

It is drummed into our heads with the media that a youthful face and body is more acceptable. Everyone ages differently. I have been blessed with wonderful genes. My Mom just passed away in February at the age of 95. I will be 68 in November and I feel blessed to have inherited some of her genes. I will continue to try to stay fit, will always be beauty conscious and stay current with the latest fashions. However, I am not in competition with my 38 year old daughter. Lol!

Contributor

Pook I so agree with you! I am enjoying being 65 and retired! My husband and I travel with friends all the time and love it! I love spending time with my 2 year old granddaughter as much as I can as well, but with that being said...I use many beauty products daily and love doing it! I workout everyday and feel great! I don't think that the products that I use are "snake oil." I emulsify every product that I use on the back of my left hand before I apply them to my face. About a month ago a friend of mine noticed that my left hand looked so much younger than my right one!!! There you have it...results! Now I have to start using the products on the back of my right hand too!

Super Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I guess I don't see things the same way as some.  I am who I am but if I can make my skin smoother with less wrinkles and crepiness then why wouldn't I?!!  It makes me feel great.  I don't worry about wrinkles and not afraid of getting old!  I'm 65 and it doesn't bother me to tell anyone that.  I just want to stay as fit and healthy as I can to avoid the damage aging can do!    No one is deceptively getting me to buy into anything and most products work for many but not for everyone but to refer to them as "snake oil" just because you don't want to try things that can work !  I see those who so strongly are offended by products as having a pessimistic attitude and in effect are just giving up and trying real hard to justify it!  I have watched many of my friends (some younger than me) buy into the idea that you are aging so you should just accept it and do nothing to keep their body as fit as possible and enhancing their outward appearance to feel great daily.  Then they complain about how awful they always feel - well no wonder!!  It's all downhill from there.  I want to stay as fit and vibrant as possible and won't give in to the negatives of aging.  We all have choices and have to live with the consequences.  For me I am happy, healthy and fit and hope to stay that way and will never give up wanting to feel great every day!

I 100% agree!!!!!!  HEALTH isalways your first wealth.  With age comes so much wisdom.  I have spent so much $$ on "anti-aging". It was a pretty expensive lesson, but I have learned from it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Allure magazine is pretty much on it's last legs as are many beauty and fashion print magazines. Maybe they are finally waking up to the fact that it's not young people who are buying print magazines anymore. As the September issues -- which are magazine's biggest revenue makers -- hit the newsstands take a look at their page count. It's pretty slim for most of them.

People Style Watch has had a makeover including a name change to People Style and the September issue has a grand total of 156 pages. This magazine isn't even printed every month during the summer. At least the cover photo of Demi Lovato looks normal.

The September issue of InStyle magazine weighs in at 440 pages and has a very photoshopped face and nearly unrecognizable Selena Gomez on the cover. The photos of her inside are extremely photoshopped as well. It's bizarre that a 20 something young woman is being photoshopped in a magazine like this. Just how many lines could someone her age possibly have?

And look at the Allure website that's linked in the Huffpo article -- Helen Mirren is very photoshopped in a couple of those photos.