Honored Contributor

I was just wondering, does anyone finish a makeup, skincare, or hair product? I may sound wasteful to some, but I rarely do in some instances. Skincare I usually finish up unless it breaks me out or I find it irritating. Makeup, I usually get bored with before I finish it, foundation though gets tossed if the shade is wrong. Hair products, mostly styling, I usually don't finish them because I have quite a few and am always on to the next best thing. So fess up, what do you do?

Esteemed Contributor
Guilty😂😂😂
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 My skincare gets used up...Retin A, Vit. C and moisturizers are quite expensive. If a foundation is not the right color or formulation, I exchange it. My fair complexion is tough to match, so I purchase it at dept. stores who take returns and where I can find the line I use.

Eye makeup sometimes gets tossed before finished...especially palettes when some shades are never used. My mascara is thrown away after 3 months as it should be. Eye & lip pencils are used until too short or gone. Lipsticks/glosses...mistakes are tossed when I clean out my makeup drawers every 6 months or if lipsticks smell rancid or off. I rarely make errors in colors. It's more a case of purchasing more than I need.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do finish them. Not all of them, but many. If something doesn't work for me I either return it or toss it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

There are a few products which I use to the last drop, but I'm so willing to try new things that there are many products I don't use until the container is empty.  Of course if I dislike something after trying it, I don't hesitate to return it, so if asked everything in my bathroom is wonderful.

Honored Contributor

I do not waste money and so I do not waste things that cost me money either.I never buy new MU unless something is either empty or going out of date.I do use a sharpie to date my MU when I buy it and I toss it in 6 months, but generally they are close to empty by then anyway.

Honored Contributor

@Trix  BTW, my derm said when you try any new skin product, give it at least 3 months to see a result. Of course if there is burning or any irritation, don't wait 3 mos., return it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus, 90 days sounds fair for judging how effective a skincare or bath & body product works on your skin.  I agree, adverse reactions such as itching, burning and breakouts, irritation etc. are immediate, and one use is enough to know it's not going to work out.  

I think makeup is a category where you know as soon as it's on whether or not it's right.  We aren't fooled too often in the store, but when ordering from TV or online, occasional mistakes are inevitable -- even with expert makeup divas.  

Honored Contributor

Hi @Trix. You're right & that's why I don't purchase colored makeup (foundation, etc.) online or in a drugstore. I want to try it on, see it on myself, feel the texture and know the color is right for me. No shipping required at dept. stores, either. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am not liking the packaging on my paulas choice nighttime stuff. I am going to try the PTR that was the tsv. But I am not buying anything until what I have is gone. I am going to buy the it cosmetics bye bye Srum for daytime but not until my PC is gone. Normally I would not hesitate to switch. But I am happy with the results I just hate the packaging on some of her items.