Trusted Contributor

Favorite sunblock / after sun care

I am liking the neutrogena age shield broad spectrum spf 110 for face when out in the sun. I bought the neutrogena dry spray 50 SPF/broad spectrum this past weekend... I use signature club a Argan day cream daily and this is my personal favorite. Haven't found a favorite after suncare product.
Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite sunblock / after sun care

My favorite sunscreens are by Supergoop. I like the oil, the lotion, the City Serum, and their lip balms, which have a higher than average level of SPF for a balm.

Right now I'm also testing out Dr. Murad's Invisiblur, which is a silicon primer with skincare and SPF 30, and L'Oreal Miracle Blur, which is also a silicon primer with SPF 30. The Murad smells acrid when I first apply it, but the scent wears off. The texture is great and I love that it's a primer and sunscreen in one. I don't like the price, but the fact that it replaces several products helps. The Miracle Blur also works well, but the consistency is terrible. It comes out of the tube in a big rope that falls off my finger before I can even begin to apply it. Once I can manage to get it on my face, it looks and feels good and is an effective primer.

I don't normally worry about after sun care unless I burn. Last year my shirt slipped over when I carried my bag and I didn't notice that it exposed more of my neck than I expected when I put my sunscreen on, so I had a weird crescent-shaped burn between my neck and shoulder. It was very red and I have always peeled when I burn, so I was bummed out. I sprayed it with WEN Replenishing Treatment Mist several times I day and it tanned without peeling at all and then faded away. I was pretty surprised, but that's my go-to for after sun now. I always keep some in my fridge, which feels extra nice when I spray it over a burn.

Esteemed Contributor

Question:  Daughter applied some and ended up broken out in a rash.  Anyone know of a brand that will be safe for some sort of mysterious allergy?

Trusted Contributor

What brand did she use?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Neutrogena Ultrasheer Liquid Sunscreen SPF 70

This is my hg of sunscreen. I wear it all year long and it works as a fantastic primer! Sheer and weightless you don't even feel it's on. It does not burn your eyes so you can apply it all around your eyes including the lids.  Apply it over my moisturizer and let dry completely...a few minutes or so then put on my foundation. I just love it. Been using it for many years. I put it on the backs of my hands as well.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Question:  Daughter applied some and ended up broken out in a rash.  Anyone know of a brand that will be safe for some sort of mysterious allergy?

Without even knowing what she used? That's difficult. If she used a physical sunscreen, try a chemical sunscreen. If she used a chemical one, try a physical one.

Some chemical sunscreens bother people who are fine with physical sunscreens. I can't use physical sunscreens with Zinc Oxide without getting a rash, so I use chemical ones. (Physical sunscreens without zinc don't provide full spectrum coverage.)

Honored Contributor

Post sun I love the Hamptons Sun Hydrating Aloe Mist, its light on the skin and not sticky at all

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Another vote for the Supergoop products.  That's all we use - and they're fine for the kids, too

Honored Contributor

I am extremely allergic to sun screen on my face - chemicals or zinc all break me out . The mildest for me is a drug store product  sold for babies. I still have to be careful to wash it off as soon as possible or my entire face gets red and swollen like I have a sunburn anyway.I once got sunscreen in my eye and ended up in the ER with that eye swollen closed. I swim almost daily and live in Fl. so sunscreen is a necessity but I can't use most of them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My favorite sunscreen is by Cerave, it's a facial sunscreen in a white and yellow tube, it's got an SPF 50 and it has zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as the main sunscreen ingredients. It has 4.9% titanium dioxide and 4.7% zinc oxide as the active ingredients. I buy the 2 oz. tube in the U.S. as this sunscreen isn't available in Canada even though the parent corporation Valeant is a Canadian company. It costs about $16 U.S. and I usually find it at the Walgreens drugstore.

I turned my sister on to this sunscreen too and she like it because she rides a bicycle and she says this sunscreen doesn't sting her eyes when she's riding and sweating a lot.