Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite shampoo/conditioner to conserve color?

I agree, that most sulfate free shampoos will be fine.  Which one just depends on your hair.  My favorite for the past year or so has been Hask Argon Oil shampoo and conditioner.  I also use some Tweak'd and Living proof.  But I reach for the Hask most often.  It just works for my fine, thin, curly hair.

Honored Contributor

I usually use John Frieda's Sheer Blonde shampoo and conditioner on my color treated blonde hair.  

I occasionally will use L'Oreal Gloss or Color Intensity shampoo.   And, once in a while, I'll use Jhirmak Silver or Clairol Shimmer Lights for "special effect."

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pureology Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioner. It is cruelty free & keeps my color perfect, which is no easy feat. I have my hair professionally colored bright red & reds are notorious for fading. Pureology is awwsome. 

Trusted Contributor

Johnson’s baby shampoo. Gentle and does not strip hair.

Respected Contributor

@StillRachBwrote:
I just colored my hair using Madison Reed for the first time. I used to go to a salon for color, but I'm trying to save money so I decided to do it at home. I'm impressed with MR's coverage of my grays. I'd like to conserve the color as best as possible. I'm looking for recommendations for shampoo and conditioner to help do this. Thanks!

I just did the same thing except I used the Ion demi-permanante color (similar to demi color my colorist used). 100% grey coverage; I only wash my dry hair 1-2x a week.

Using either Nexxus or Redkin color safe shampoos.

Respected Contributor

Last year I read an interesting bit of information. It seems that water is more destructive to our hair than shampoos. Sulfates do some damage but washing our hair too often is more of a culprit. It dries out the hair rather quickly. In fact I know that so many women love Wen but Chaz encourages doing a lot of rinsing. To me I would think that would wash your color down the drain. In fact the article that I read suggested to rinse only until you are sure the product is out of your hair. It also mentioned that 2 washings aren't necessarily needed if you don't have a lot of product in your hair.