Super Contributor

Favorite shampoo/conditioner to conserve color?

I just colored my hair using Madison Reed for the first time. I used to go to a salon for color, but I'm trying to save money so I decided to do it at home. I'm impressed with MR's coverage of my grays. I'd like to conserve the color as best as possible. I'm looking for recommendations for shampoo and conditioner to help do this. Thanks!
Contributor

Re: Favorite shampoo/conditioner to conserve color?

The best I've found are shampoo and conditioner by either Herbatint or

Naturtint, both from Vitac*st.

Honored Contributor

I’d say any sulfate free combo will work.  I hate to name brands, since I rotate among several.  The best thing you can do, is not wash every day.  

I try  to wash my hair no more often than 3-4 days/ week and use a dry shampoo on the other days.  

Honored Contributor

I use paraben and sulfate free cleansing conditioners. I love WEN but decided to try other CC and very pleased. I also color my roots. I’m currently using Renpure Solutions CC from WalMart.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@StillRachBwrote:
I just colored my hair using Madison Reed for the first time. I used to go to a salon for color, but I'm trying to save money so I decided to do it at home. I'm impressed with MR's coverage of my grays. I'd like to conserve the color as best as possible. I'm looking for recommendations for shampoo and conditioner to help do this. Thanks!

I use Matrix Biolage Colorlast Shampoo and Conditioner. ULTA has liter size sales twice a year I believe. That is when I buy two of each, lasts me a year. I switch it up with Carol's Daughter Monoi Shampoo and Conditioner to keep the breakage down. I have thick wavy hair and since using monoi the breakage is so much less; my hair just loves that stuff.

Trusted Contributor

I've used Herbal Essences for color treated hair for 45 years. I love it and have never had any trouble with it removing and color.

Trusted Contributor

@StillRachBwrote:

@StillRachBGee tried more then I can post! Tried just about every mid to mostly high end but not drugstore types which is the same I hear and know in my heart. Will be sampling L'Oreals newer colourfast line!

Redkin has a very good line sulfate free of course is I feel vital for no sulfates and even for use on skin.

Redkin's Magnetics line for colored hair.

Also Pureology is well known for it's color safe lines (many diff lines but all color safe and specializing in that).

I agree as anotehr said, the more we wash the hair it will just lose color!

I hate that but it's true. Ugh.

I'd post more but these above are good and work.

On a less $ level the L'Oreal colourfast line looks pretty good - trying that today. As Living Proof and others I have in my stash do nothing special at all...and cost too dang much!!!!!

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

My salon switched to all Kevin Murphy products about a year ago. OMG my hair has never looked so good! My color never stayed with Paul Michell color and now I have no problems with my color lasting and lasting! I was a bit skeptical trying KM because they are a bit pricey but they are highly concentrated. I only use a pea size (yes!) to wash my hair. I still have all of my KM products from a year ago! Awesome brand!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I have used so many color safe shampoos and if you wash your hair every day or every other day it will fade.  I have oily hair and really have no choice.  People will say I like your color.  I use the same color so it just depends on the week  they see it after I color my hair. 

Honored Contributor

I normally am not an Aveda fan at all but I absolutely love the Aveda Color Conserve shampoo.  It really helps and doesn't have that super strong scent most Aveda products have.