Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite shampoo/conditioner for thinning hair

@world traveler you might be confusing Nioxon with Rogaine. I'm referring to Nioxin shampoo and conditioner.
Honored Contributor

@Rachb Oh, duh! You are absolutely correct. I mixed them up. Smiley Sad

Contributor

My hair has been thick with lots of body all my life.  I started using WEN last year to help with the humid frizzies.  After about 6 months, my hair started thinning and falling out.  My hair professional said that products like WEN clog the hair follicles and cause damage in this way.  He suggested that I use three Aveda products:  Invati Exfoliating Shampoo, Invati Thickening Conditioner, and Invati Scalp Revitalizer.  I haven't noticed regrowth yet, but I think it has slowed down or stopped the process of my thinning hair.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nioxin system is probably your best bet, however it must be used at least 3 to 4 times a week to be effective. I stopped using it because I only wash my hair once a week.

Respected Contributor

Hmmmm....I wash my hair every other day. I hope it's not too drying.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've used Sally's brand of Nioxin products with great success. Called Nutri-ox. I used shampoo, conditioner & leave-in treatment. 

Using these products stopped hair loss & continued use resulted resulted in new hair growth.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would consider trying PURA D'OR for thinning hair. I recently purchased but have not used it long enough to notice changes yet. It had great reviews. You can find it at CVS or on their website. I purchased the shampoo and healthy conditioner.

Super Contributor

I think paula s choice recommends Minoxidil. It is suppose to really well!

Respected Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
@world traveler you might be confusing Nioxon with Rogaine. I'm referring to Nioxin shampoo and conditioner.

my son has been using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner for quite a few years...there's much less hair in the drain (he says) for sure...he also uses a generic brand of Rogaine, which he purchases from Costco, it's a double pack and costs less than In other stores, Walmart, Target, grocery...Nioxin shampoo I believe contains minoxidil as well.  I've noticed that son's hair has not gotten any sparser, so think it's working to stop further hair loss, but not sue about regrowth...some have better results than others I'm sure.

Respected Contributor

I went through a rough period awhile ago, and lost ALOT of hair.  I haven't had much luck with Nioxin type shampoos, and really don't like thickening one's either.  I find them drying.

I like Pureologly shampoo/cond.  They have a  hydrating conditioner with peppermint in it.  I love it.  I massage my scalp well when shampooing too.     I brush my hair often through the day as that helps remove air pollutants/ dust, etc. and it's stimulating on the scalp.    I started taking 5000 mgs of Biotin, and My hair is soooo much fuller...yep, my scrunchy doesn't slip out LOL.   I still have fine hair (always have)  but I've got LOTs of it now!   I hope this helps you!!