Frequent Contributor

Re: Favorite dry shampoo?

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

As you can tell from my picture, my hair is auburn.  Most dry shampoos make my hair look dusty, so instead I use a mix of cocoa powder (pure, unsweetened), ground cinnamon and arrowroot powder.  The cocoa works well for brown hair, and the cinnamon adds a bit of a reddish tone.  The arrowroot powder keeps the mixture from clumping together and doesn't add any color.  I sprinkle it on a hairbrush, tap off the excess and brush it through my hair.  It works really well.

Thanks for sharing mistriTsquirrel!   What is your "recipe"?  I wouldn't use the cinnamon because my hair is brown.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel

Love your natural & inexpensive solution!

You've written about this before so when I was looking

for something to extend my wash a day/2, I thought of you! 

Thank you for your suggestion.

Thanks, @sidsmom.  

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@zgirl wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

As you can tell from my picture, my hair is auburn.  Most dry shampoos make my hair look dusty, so instead I use a mix of cocoa powder (pure, unsweetened), ground cinnamon and arrowroot powder.  The cocoa works well for brown hair, and the cinnamon adds a bit of a reddish tone.  The arrowroot powder keeps the mixture from clumping together and doesn't add any color.  I sprinkle it on a hairbrush, tap off the excess and brush it through my hair.  It works really well.

Thanks for sharing mistriTsquirrel!   What is your "recipe"?  I wouldn't use the cinnamon because my hair is brown.

@zgirl  I couldn't remember the proportions I used, so I did a search.  Wellness Mama's site said you can use half cocoa powder and half arrowroot powder, so I would try that.  (Anyone using cinnamon in their mix should just make sure that their final product is 50% arrowroot.)

Also, some people use a kabuki brush or other makeup brush to apply, but I didn't care for that.  The application was too tedious and time-consuming, IMO.  So I tried using the hairbrush method, and it worked well.  One thing to note is that it's best to tap your hairbrush over a trash can rather than the sink; otherwise you have a mess to clean up.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Frequent Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@zgirl wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@zgirl  I couldn't remember the proportions I used, so I did a search.  Wellness Mama's site said you can use half cocoa powder and half arrowroot powder, so I would try that.  (Anyone using cinnamon in their mix should just make sure that their final product is 50% arrowroot.)

Also, some people use a kabuki brush or other makeup brush to apply, but I didn't care for that.  The application was too tedious and time-consuming, IMO.  So I tried using the hairbrush method, and it worked well.  One thing to note is that it's best to tap your hairbrush over a trash can rather than the sink; otherwise you have a mess to clean up.

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

Valued Contributor

My favorite is Klorane with nettle.  Very oil absorbing, and not too strongly scented.  It's the best I have tried.  the living proof one is good also but I can't use it because the scent is SO overpowering and bad. 

Contributor

I really like Not Your Mother's. I have light brown hair, so this does turn it a bit white, but with some brushing that goes away. They do have some new formula's out as well and an unscented one too. This is my quick fix and I usually get this at Ulta when they are running their BOGO 50% off. 

Otherwise, if i know that I'm not going to wash my hair the next day, before bed I use some baby powder and shake it through. I've been doing this for the last 10 years and I think it works way better than the dry shampoo on the market (which I've tried almost every brand of). Not to mention, it's way more cost effective. 

Respected Contributor

I've tried many brands but hate that powdery dry look to my hair.  I recently tried Suave and like it best.

Respected Contributor

I watched the philosophy presentation of their AG and PG spray dry shampoo. I felt badly for MariLyn and the models having to spray and breath in so much of that powder...can't be good for the lungs. I noticed Carolyn did not do it.