Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite drugstore brands for skin, hair and makeup and why?

I use very, very little dept. store skincare or make-up products.  Nearly everything I have is from the drugstore.

Respected Contributor

I am Hi-Lo use high end as well as lower priced products!

Some drugstore favorites are:

-CeraVe, almost anything! Cleanser, moisture, sunblock.

-Maybelline Color Tattoo shadow, both the chubby sticks and the pot (I use this as eyeliner too, super staying power.)

-Giovanni Hot Chocolate Sugar Body Scrub, scent to die for.

-Curel lotions, super moisturizing that lasts

-Dove Wintercare Body Wash, super gentle

-CoverGirl Lipsticks (I love most anything from this lipcolor line)

-Pantene hair products, top quality, low price

-Suave Professionals line, super cheap and worth a try, I don't like all of it but the Blow Dry spray is a super bargain for the results you get!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Regular Contributor

For anything meant to conceal skin, Physician's Formula. I'm loving their BB and CC products. Look great on the skin, stay on a long time, have high/chemical-free SPF and no artificial fragrances and other potential irritants in them. There are a lot of ingredients I can't wear on my skin because I'm very sensitive to something, but don't know what, and PF is one of the only brands that doesn't have any of the no-nos I suspect could have caused my skin reaction. 

The only other drugstore face-makeup I've found that I can wear so far is Covergirl's Aqua Smoothers compact foundation. Though I still prefer PF, both because it has higher SPF and I just think it looks better on my skin (the CG makeup is a bit more powdery looking, so maybe good for someone who wants a really matte finish). 

Unfortunately, the last time I searched for a mascara or an eyeliner that didn't have fragrance and other potential irritants in it, I could not find a single drugstore mascara and only found one eyeliner, something by L'Oreal that, regrettably, smudges pretty easily on me. So I think I'm going to have to go the high-end route next time I need new eye stuff (I don't wear eyeshadow). 

Blush takes me forever to use up, so I haven't bought a new one in ages and therefore don't even know which drugstore brands might be good. I'm currently alternating between Laura Geller and Too Faced.

Lips are another category where I've found drugstore products I liked a lot, but sure enough, almost all of them have stupid fragrance in them. And lo and behold, I stopped putting any lip products with "fragrance" on, and my chronically chapped lips went away. I think I have a few lip products that are drugstore and seem to work well - one from NYX that's a sort of color balm, and then a few from Burt's Bees. Also, one from Pacifica and one of Revlon's classic Colorstay lipsticksks, though, if I'm recalling correctly, you really have to scrutinize each shade's label to figure out whether there's fragrance or other potential irritants.