Contributor

Re: Favorite cleanser/makeup remover?

My favorite make upremover is Neutragena toweletts.  Takes everything off and no mess, just toss away.

Esteemed Contributor

Paulas Choice Resist Hydrating Cleanser. It takes off ALL of my makeup including Bobbi Brown gel liner and Japanese mascara which is notoriously difficult to remove. Takes off every stitch and leaves my face feeling clean and hydrated but not oily, not like I have to wash again with a separate cleanser. I loved Alpha Hydrox Nourishing Cleanser but I don't see this anymore since they updated containers. I see it on other sites but not on Neoteric. Both were really gentle and never hurt my eyes but took off everything. All of my eye makeup and liners were always waterproof because I live in NC and the hot and humid summers demand that.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

What is your favorite nighttime cleanser that removes all makeup and cleanses in one step? I'm looking for a replacement for my Ponds cold cream cleanser because I'm looking for something that is cruelty free. I have dry skin and need something that won't dry out my skin, won't break me out, is cruelty free and doesn't cost a fortune. That's not too much to ask is it? Smiley Happy Thanks!

You probably aren't going to like my answer.  I believe makeup removal and cleansing are two separate steps, and should be, in order to get one's skin completely clean and prepared for treatment products.  I start with a facial wipe (Skinn or Beekman for me) to remove the surface stuff.  Then I'll use Dr. Young's Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil (or sometimes Skinn Olive & Enzyme PM Cleanser) to finish the job.  Both of these cleansers are very gentle and won't dry you out.  In fact, you can use the Skinn PM cleanser and a moisturizing mask too.

I do believe this can be the case with cleansers for oily skin but there are many cleansers on the market for combo and dry skin that completely break down even the toughest makeup with no problem. There are even some for oily skin that have no problem breaking them down.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

Hi RN Mom

I went cruelty free about 3 years ago after adoptng my puppy from a rescue shelter.As others have said there are great suggestion but not all are cruelty free . I really like the PAcifica line they are cruelty free and vegan as well . I have combination skin so I use their Seamfoam cleanser everything comes off I use oil on my eyes to remove my eyemakeup. They have a full range of cleanser and skin care for many skisn types as well as makeup and body products . Their line is reasonably priced . It is available on their website and Ulta. If you are into oils and organic "clean " line I recently discovered the Canadian line Living Libations , It is a bit more expensive but their Seabucthorn oil cleanser and grapefruit  serum for acne skin like mine is wonderful . Good luck in your search !!

Esteemed Contributor

I wet my face with a facecloth & lather up with the original Noxema .... I have been doing this for over 30 years & my skin looks great!!! 😸😄

Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

I wet my face with a facecloth & lather up with the original Noxema .... I have been doing this for over 30 years & my skin looks great!!! 😸😄

The OP is asking for cruelty free options.  Noxema doesn't fit the bill.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

What is your favorite nighttime cleanser that removes all makeup and cleanses in one step? I'm looking for a replacement for my Ponds cold cream cleanser because I'm looking for something that is cruelty free. I have dry skin and need something that won't dry out my skin, won't break me out, is cruelty free and doesn't cost a fortune. That's not too much to ask is it? Smiley Happy Thanks!

You probably aren't going to like my answer.  I believe makeup removal and cleansing are two separate steps, and should be, in order to get one's skin completely clean and prepared for treatment products.  I start with a facial wipe (Skinn or Beekman for me) to remove the surface stuff.  Then I'll use Dr. Young's Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil (or sometimes Skinn Olive & Enzyme PM Cleanser) to finish the job.  Both of these cleansers are very gentle and won't dry you out.  In fact, you can use the Skinn PM cleanser and a moisturizing mask too.

I do believe this can be the case with cleansers for oily skin but there are many cleansers on the market for combo and dry skin that completely break down even the toughest makeup with no problem. There are even some for oily skin that have no problem breaking them down.

Dimitri James, also an aesthetician and essentially raised in skincare, so to speak, recommends this two-step method.  He says the professional way is to remove makeup first (using a facial wipe, preferrably his) and then cleanse.  He's not the only one who believes in the two-step method either.  People may argue that he's got skin in the game since he wants to sell both his wipes and his cleansers, but there are a lot of recommendations online that suggest removing makeup first before cleansing.  It doesn't depend on the kind of skin one has.  My skin is not oily, it's actually normalized since using Dr. Young's Camellia Cleansing Oil.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I wish people would read the OPs orginal post as she did request cruelty free. Many of these suggestions contain products that are not cruelty free, such as Huggies, Mary Kay, Olay, Clean and CLear, Dove, DHC, Clinique, Neutrogena, etc.

Perhaps @rnmom you can edit your title and include cruelty free in it so more people will notice since they must not have read your criteria?

I love One Love organics cleansing oil but and have used it for some years now but it isn't consider cheap to most. One bottle lasts me a long time because I only use it at night to remove all my makeup and I always get it on sale so it is definitely worth the price to me. It also removes all my makeup so no need for multiple steps, which I like because I am all about simplification in my beauty routine.

Good luck- hope you find something you love and awesome you are trying to go the cruelty free route! Heart

Point well taken.  That is why I included Kimberly-Clark's position on animal-testing in my post.  I suggested a regimen; I imagine an alternative wipe is out there somewhere.

Oh yes there are plenty of alternatives for cruelty free wipes. Seventh Generation free and clear wipes are a great example and also really cheap (just don't ever throw any wipes like these in the toilet!) and cruelty free. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think there should be a clear distinction here between pre-packaged cleansing pads and cleansing oils.

The pads are fine for removing makeup and maybe can pinch hit as cleansers when traveling, but ideally, they should always be followed up with a cleanser.

Oil cleansers can be used alone, unless maybe one has very oily skin. I have normal to dry skin and personally like to follow up with a cleanser, but that's just me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Philosophy Purity.  I've used it for many years.  I've tried other cleansers, but always go back to Purity.