Trusted Contributor

Favorite Silver or Gray Hair Care Products

Recently, I took the plunge and had my short pixie haircut cut even shorter. My stylist bleached out the remaining inch-long hair and applied a silver-grey color. My hair is growing out quickly in its natural grey shade, I couldn't be happier! 

Now I'm on the hunt for the best shampoo, conditioner, treatment, hair styling products for gray hair. 

I'm interested in your favorites.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Favorite Silver or Gray Hair Care Products

Please try WEN by Chaz Dean, called Bella Spirit- makes the gray/silver not turn yellow and the shine is great.  I am a WEN user since he started at the Q, would not be without.Changed from FIG to Bella Spirit. One thing to remember is you can not use Bella Spirt as leave-in step so I continue to purchase Fig as my leave-in.WEN by Chaz Dean Bella Spirit 32-oz Cleansing Conditioner - A374652

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Congratulations on taking the plunge!   and, especially, that you're happy about it!  Good for you.   I also have a pixie cut - really sassy! - and I let my dark blonde hair naturally turn silver gray a few years ago.  I love it on me.

I use and love Clairol's Shimmer Lights.  It's not expensive - I buy mine at the grocery store.  It makes my hair sparkle with lots of body.   I only use it about once every 4 times that I shampoo.   I've heard if we use a purple shampoo every shampoo, it might turn our hair purple.  I've never had that problem, but am careful anyway.  

See the source image

Good luck!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Joico for blonde silver hair

shampoo and conditioner 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quinny wrote:

Recently, I took the plunge and had my short pixie haircut cut even shorter. My stylist bleached out the remaining inch-long hair and applied a silver-grey color. My hair is growing out quickly in its natural grey shade, I couldn't be happier! 

Now I'm on the hunt for the best shampoo, conditioner, treatment, hair styling products for gray hair. 

I'm interested in your favorites.

@Quinny   I know you'll love not keeping up hair color appointments. For the last few years, I've used Neutrogena Clarifying shampoo once a month before another wash with PHYTARGENT ( on the PHYTO site or at Nordstrom). It removes any yellow you may have from the sun or heat styling. The most important product for me is my heat protectant....PRIME (Amazon). It's a lightweight cream. I just use a drop when my hair is wet and it keeps the sun or my quick blow dry from causing any heat damage. 

Super Contributor

I have been gray-actually white for a long time and tried many! They are all more alike than not. You can find so many at Ulta.

The one I liked best is Redken Gradient shampoo and conditioner. Ulta has a big liter sale going on.

I do have the liters.

also Klorane has a non purple shampoo for gray or white hair. It is not sulfate free,but is good to really clean the hair and scalp and does give white hair a nice shine.

One drugstore shampoo I really liked is the L/oreal Everpure blonde. I love the shade reviving mask, but I think it is discontinued. I did get some at Amazon. It is a fabulous treatment. some purple masks do live a tint so be careful how long you leave it on the first time. no tint leftover from the l'oreal shade reving treatment,

Esteemed Contributor

Welcome to the club!!  It is so freeing not to color anymore.  I recommend Maison 276.  It is sold here on QVC and also on their site.  I have purchased from both.  My search is over for a whitening, healthy shampoo.  I have tried all the purple/blue shampoos, including WEN.  They did nothing but turn my hair blue, my shower blue, and dry out my hair.

I hope you find something that works for you!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@Quinny My hair is ashy grey & we have hard water, but with a water softener.

I haven't found any one product that seems better for my hair than another.

Matrix Total Results So Silver Shampoo-Just finished this one.

Joico Blonde Life Violet Shampoo & Conditioner

Redken Color Extend Graydiant Shampoo & Conditioner

Brite No Yellow Hair Mask

I do use one of these every few days. My hair seems fine. I have never gotten any purple tone to my hair. None seem too drying.

My daughter gave me a container of Banana Cream Deep Conditioner from Ecoslay & it is amazing. My hair was soft & really shiny. I am going to use it, again, today after one of the purple shampoos. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Welcome to the club!!  It is so freeing not to color anymore.  I recommend Maison 276.  It is sold here on QVC and also on their site.  I have purchased from both.  My search is over for a whitening, healthy shampoo.  I have tried all the purple/blue shampoos, including WEN.  They did nothing but turn my hair blue, my shower blue, and dry out my hair.

I hope you find something that works for you!

@tends2dogs   Most purple shampoos can cause a bluish or purple tint if left on too long. If your hair is porous, it's more likely to happen.  

Respected Contributor

If I use a purple shampoo, maybe once a month, I add a small amount to my regular shampoo in my hand and use them together and rinse very well, then condition as usual.  Works well, doesn't dry my hair and helps keep it silvery and shiny.  

Used alone all of the purple shampoos do tend to dry out my hair, so my answer was to mix with my normal shampoo and not to do it too often and always use a good conditioner. 

Right now the purple/blue shampoo  I am using is Graydient by Redken.