Frequent Contributor

I am thinking of adding a Retinol product into my nighttime routine. Does anyone have an suggestions for a good one? Drugstore or high end. Also, is Retinoid better than Retinol.

Thank you in advance. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Favorite Retinol/Retinoid

Dr. Denise Hydroshield serum--been using it for years!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirt60 wrote:

I am thinking of adding a Retinol product into my nighttime routine. Does anyone have an suggestions for a good one? Drugstore or high end. Also, is Retinoid better than Retinol.

Thank you in advance. 

@Squirt60 

Retinol is part of the retinoid family of skincare products. Retinoids include other products such as a variety of brands of Rx tretinoin, namely Retin-A and Renova, just to name a few.

I don't have any specific brands but here are some things to consider before buying a retinol product:

- start out using a low percentage (less than 1%) and then work up to a higher one

- look for encapsulated retinol, aka slow-release or time-release

- get familiar with how to apply and how it will affect other areas of your skincare routine

- look for a retinol contained inside an air-tight or dropper bottle (no open jars), light-protected container (tinted amber glass bottle or opaque)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Prescription strength RetinA/Tretinoin, IMO, is head and shoulders above retinol.  I get mine w/o a prescription from Tara Skincare. Get a low-med, concentration and slowly ease it into your routine.  I tried the PTR Retinol Serum and it was mostly Squalane so it didn't really provide any cell turnover - worthless, IMO.  If you don't want prescription strength, I'd recommend Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum. 

Retinol and RetinA are both retinoids, but they work differently.  Retinol is much weaker than RetinA.  It needs to go through a couple of metabolic conversion steps to become retinoic acid and received by the skin.  With each conversion step, it weakens even more.  RetinA/Tretinoin IS retinoic acid so no conversion steps required.  Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum contains Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate (HPR) which is bioavailable and ready to be received by the skin w/o the conversion steps required by retinol.  It's gentle and doesn't have the dryness, flaking, and potential irritation that's common with RetinA/Tretinoin.

Honored Contributor

This brand, The Ordinary, makes it easy for you. They make theirs from low to high concentrations for you to use. 0.2% up to 1%. 

Your Complete Guide to The Ordinary's New Retinoids - The Skincare Edit

Frequent Contributor

Thank you all so much for your advice. I think I will look into the one from the ordinary. I already use the niacinamide so I will give the retinol a try. 

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

If you've never used any kind of retinol products just be very careful and go slow. Use a tiny amount once or twice a week initially to see how it goes and work up from there. It's a learning process on how your skin will handle it. Even though retinol is not nearly as strong as Retin-A, it can still burn your face off...ask me how I know. 🥵 LOL!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I am using a 3% now, brand I found on ebay with very good ingredients and only a few ingredients.  So far no irritations. 

Esteemed Contributor

There's a CeraVe version: Skin Renewing Retinol Serum.

CeraVe retinol